£3500 to spend , thinking canyon any other recommendations

Quorngeordie
Quorngeordie Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys
Just sold my motorbike , not being used so going to blow some of the money on something I use regularly, have other road and mtb bikes but new road bike needed. I am thinking Canyon either Aeroad cf slx 9 or Ultimate cf slx 9, can't make my mind up between them. I don't race but love the look of the aeroad. Very good value given the specs even taking into account the exchange rate...However are there any others I should strongly consider ..thanks in advance

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Hi Guys
    Just sold my motorbike , not being used so going to blow some of the money on something I use regularly, have other road and mtb bikes but new road bike needed. I am thinking Canyon either Aeroad cf slx 9 or Ultimate cf slx 9, can't make my mind up between them. I don't race but love the look of the aeroad. Very good value given the specs even taking into account the exchange rate...However are there any others I should strongly consider ..thanks in advance

Try Rose bikes, some lovely bikes. Also the canyon aeroad is race geometry compared to the ultimate with is more comfortable. I know where you're coming from though with regards to the aeroad's looks, it is stunning!
  • Personally, if I was spending that much I'd want to go to someone who I could get face-to-face advice from, plus the ability to take an extensive test ride.

When I was looking for a road bike a few years back I actually ordered a Canyon, but QA problems (I had to send two bikes back) and poor after sales support, given the amount of money that was being spent, really put me off. Although the direct model is tempting, it has its drawbacks.

Canyon bikes use the Acros headset system, which is a bit of a liability in my experience. It's not the most reliable plus spares can be expensive to obtain. In addition they use an (for now) unusual steerer diameter on some of the bikes, which limits choice if you want to change things around.
  • Personally I would go with the Aeroad, however would save £300 and get the DI2 version in Glow Red
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Focus Izalco Max or Scott Addict Team Issue.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Check out the Cannondale Supersix's at Paulsycles, some great reductions if last years colours don't bother you (at their prices it shouldn't).
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    I really had my heart set on Canyon. Ordered an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 in the summer. Waited, then it got delayed, waited again, delayed again, then I cancelled.

The bike looks mint, and I'm sure it would have been great but for me the customer service was really poor.
  • Bought a Canyon earlier this year, from stock, so had no issues with delivery, but my service was still nothing short of exceptional. Plus the bike is awesome, and costs 2 thirds what it would from the big boy manufacturers. I would trade off customer service a touch for that saving, plus i do my own mechanics so i feel confident enough to set up and maintain my own bikes so it isnt as issue
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Look have some interesting options at that price point. the 675 is £3000 wheels are a bit poor though but you have £500 to spend to get a decent on there and that is very possible for that money.

With the 695 you will have to up your budget to get a set of aerodynamic wheels with this bike, I am not sure I follow the logic of putting mavic askiums on this bike but hey ho I am not French.

£3500 is alot of money for a bike. Like any bike it has too fit just right. in fact everything has to spot on for this money. Buying of the web means it may not be spot on and some changes will need to be made. Buying in a good shop means you can get it spot on straight away. Online works if you know exactly what you need in which case you would not be asking on here. If you need advise and help a good shop is better.

For £3500 you can start with a good frame and build it up or have a shop do it. Plenty of frame only options.

These aero frames are great for racing (as they provide another advantage similar in benefit to a set of good aero wheels when compared to something hopelessly un aero). The aero benefits work for TT's and solo rides, but is a club run made more enjoyable by having a aero frame as you ride at the pace to keep the group together unless it is a chain gang where the slowest gets dropped in which case you should be racing if you rides like that.

Personally I like the Look 795 aerolight and have ponied up for that. I am getting a frameset so I will have decent wheels so all the above I have ignored and gone with what I want and what I like the look of the most and to hell with everything else.

So pick a frame that suit what you want to do with it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,401
    Go for the Canyon - you can always pay for a bike fit.
    Aeroad is the best looking bike around at present IMHO.
  • +1 for Look

One of the unique looking bikes on the market.But you either like it or not because of the slope and the stem design.For me it is really one the coolest frames on the market without all the hype of saving watts or "Used by ProTour team"
  • Definitely get a canyon.
    I bought a canyon ultimate cf slx and it is bangin. Couldn't ask for any thing better. £2500 and it is 6.7kg stiff as hell with aero geometry. Very well speced for the £££
  • The new Scott Foil looks pretty wonderful. Similar to the Look 675/795 in fact, with a bit of Canyon Aeroad mixed in.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    3764_550.jpg
    this in a size 56 from herehttp://www.kbcycles.com/view/scott-foil-team-issue-2015-ex-demo/103236 which is near newcastle
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    For that money why not factor in a trip over to the Canyon factory showroom so you can have a proper test ride and take all the worry out of buying blind.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd look at one of these personally http://www.certini.co.uk/2015-cannondale-synapse-hi-mod-sram-red-disc-road-bike.html (a club mate has one and it's a great bike), if you look around you can probably get it for £3.5k (Tredz have a couple of size options at that price).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For me, having been in the same boat with the same budget, the whole purchasing process was a big part of the whole deal and one I still look back on with pleasure.

I bought a Look from Epic cycles. It involved a couple of trips to the shop - a bike fit followed by extended test rides of the two contenders (built up to match my fit) followed by an enjoyable discussion to spec each component. Then a trip to the shop to watch my bike being built up and finally taking home a unique bike that was exactly what I wanted and made for me.

I still have the bike and still love it. I will never sell it. I'm not sure I could get so excited about a mass produced, standard spec bike no matter how well spec'd it might be.

So, I would say, buy whatever you like but make it something that is your bike rather than just a bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I had exactly the same choice and I went for the Canyon Aeroad. If I could choose again, I'd do the same thing. It's quite simply a great bike.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13030236
  • If you're not in any particular rush, I'd maybe hold out and see if e.g. Westbrooks start banging out bargain Scott framesets prior to mainstream uptake of the new 2016 Foil. You'll also maybe get discounted Addicts. Both lovely framesets (esp in HMX flavour).
  • My shortlist (less money but each one will have a more expensive bike up the range):

Look 675
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1
    Cervelo S3

I was determined to get the Look as it looks fantastic, however I rented the Propel on holiday for a week and loved it so much (and it went in a end of season sale) I bough it!

What ever you decide... hope you love it!