waterproofing Sportful Hotpack 5

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
Out on my summer bike yesterday, absolute torrential downpour, flooding etc., didn't stop raining hard for more than an hour. :( One thing I found out: my Sportful Hotpack 5, which I hadn't really used until yesterday, is not much more waterproof than a paper towel. Pretty hopeless.

I was about to put it into the tumble dryer on a low setting, as I'd read somewhere that's how you re-activate the waterproofing. But just before I set it off I thought I'd better look at the label: "Do not tumble dry". :/

Are Sportful Hotpacks simply not really waterproof or is there a way to get them waterproof? Spray? What sort? Thanks.

Comments

• Only Goretex and some plastic-type fabric used for showerproof coats are marginally waterproof, but nothing is totally waterproof. Any attempt to make it waterproof is a complete waste of time.

An upper range bin bag is as good as it gets... some have strings to tighten the waist and they are very snug fit... just cut holes for head and arms and you are good as gold
    left the forum March 2023
  • But then your arms get wet, and we all know how I feel about wet arms.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The hot pack isn't meant to be a waterproof its a windproof layer and does a great job of that.

Waterproof really doesn't exist in cycling, 100% sealed only leads to boil in the bag so drenched in sweat, really what you want for long cold wet rides is something that blocks the wind is slightly water resist but once wet will just hold a warm damp layer like a wet suit.

That would be a gabba
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • It's a windproof though it usually offers fairly decent water resistance... could be it's lost it's DWR from sitting in a sweaty back pocket a lot! Worth washing in a reproofer from Nikwax or Grangers - like most of these things if the water beads on the outside it'll keep it off but once that's gone it'll soak through.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    That would be a gabba

And even that isn't going to keep you dry in the sort of conditions there were last night. Mine kept me warm though and that is what really matters.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • The hot pack isn't meant to be a waterproof its a windproof layer and does a great job of that.

Yup you're right. I did think it was more of a waterproof thing. Thanks.
  • The hot pack isn't meant to be a waterproof its a windproof layer and does a great job of that.

Waterproof really doesn't exist in cycling, 100% sealed only leads to boil in the bag so drenched in sweat, really what you want for long cold wet rides is something that blocks the wind is slightly water resist but once wet will just hold a warm damp layer like a wet suit.

That would be a gabba

Totally agree with this. The soggy conditions yesterday evening were the first real test of my RaceFace Ambush shorts. The teflon coating apparently "shrugs off water thanks to the DWR treatment and waterproof membrane". It doesn't. End of.
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Yesterday night was beyond-Gabba and I wore my new Mavic HC H20 jacket for first time.

Seriously impressed. Wore a summer Chapeau jersey underneath and got home after 90 mins of almost constant rain - some torrential - with zero leaks and very little boil in the bag syndrome. No seam leaks what so ever in very very heavy rain.

Rode in this morning wearing it again as I wanted to keep it at office - and with all the four vents open it was quite bearable although a trifle warm. It is not packable - but frankly I prefer it to the packable variety as it does breathe whilst so far not leaking.

Highly recommended; admittedly after only two rides :-)