Canyon Spectral 7.0 EX Vs YT Capra AL1

timgeester1000
timgeester1000 Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am just getting back into mountain biking after a decade long hiatus and have ended up ordering one of each of the above (long lead times) and need to decide which one to cancel. I live in the south east so the majority of my riding will be the Surrey hills and Swinley with the odd trip to N Wales and an annual visit to the south of France. I am looking for a bike that can be used for longer rides, isn't a pig cross country but can help make up for my woeful sense of balance and skills when i am going downhill which i love doing. I know the Capra is amazing downhill but for the places I am going to be riding am i going to be saying to myself that it is overkill and a bit of a struggle anywhere other than downwards.

I am hoping your great minds and significantly better experience can help me finally make up my mind.

Comments

• Both of these will be terrible for the riding you are doing. They're completely over the top and better suited to far more extreme riding. They're just going to be hard work. A lighter trail bike will be much less hard work and far more fun.
    The YT also has a bit of a weak frame, they break quite a lot.
    I would go for something like a Giant Trance, Rose Granite Chief, Transition Scout or Specialized Stumpjumper.
  • Thanks, had better cancel both then!
  • I wouldn't say the Spectral is overkill. 150/140mm travel and sub 13kg claimed weight. Broadly similar to the aforementioned Trance and Stumpy.
    Nukeproof Mega is worth considering if you've got your heart set on ordering without seeing
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • I have to admit after looking at the bikes that were suggested I came to the same conclusion so i am going to sack of the Capra and wait the 12 weeks i am due to wait for the Spectral. Everyone says they are light and good at climbing and that was my main concern with the Capra.

thanks for the advice.
  • I wouldn't say the Spectral is overkill. 150/140mm travel and sub 13kg claimed weight. Broadly similar to the aforementioned Trance and Stumpy.
    Nukeproof Mega is worth considering if you've got your heart set on ordering without seeing

Yeah I was confusing the Spectral with the bigger Canyon.
    You can buy Nukeproof in actual shops as well. They're ok but I wouldn't have another one.
  • Always the Mondraker Foxy :).. Have only sat on a few canyon bikes but I wasn't inspired.. Lot of good gear on a meh frame
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    +1 for the foxy. Kit isn't the flashiest and it's not the best value, but it is by far and away the best bike I've ever owned. The geometry is bang on, the suspension is excellent and you can take it to a shop if anything goes wrong and not have to ship it off to mainland Europe. I've been amazed by how many people have bought Canyons/YTs etc and then come whinging into work because they're bike is broken. They're great bikes but I'd never buy one unless they had a UK service centre.
  • I have heard that YT might have a UK rep next year but I still wouldn't buy one because no one ever keeps them very long (same for Canyon)
    As has been said above, spangly kit on a below average frame.