Marin B17 -Pimp Job

memsistest
memsistest Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Just bought a DT Swiss Air Shock for my Marin B17. Got it out of Poland (not too expensive) Its real light and I will get it fitted soon. What I was wondering is has anyone got any experience of DT Swiss forks? I see them for sale for humble money on ebay - worth a punt?
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Expensive and light, however the reviews do often criticise the quality of damping compared to the better Fox and RS parts, good for XC / Trecking style use, I'd probably steer clear for heavier trail use upwards
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah, was thinking I could make the bike lighter for a bit of longer trail use. The old manitou forks are getting a bit tired. The standard rig is fairly plush but heavy. DT Swiss at the rear should do the job but up front maybe change from triple clamp to single crown - something like a set of recons or something? Don't want to spend mad money!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1256171869_Pablood.339.jpg
    Similar to that?

Yes some lighter forks will be much nicer, Recons won't go long enough, Sektor or Rev's or Pikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The issue with Sektors that I'm finding is that the only straight 1 1/8 steerer versions available now are coil sprung and fairly heavy. The Solo Air versions are a fairly decent weight (claimed) but seem to be only available in tapered.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Marzocchi 55s, plenty around with straight steerers.
  • Yeah Rookie - but with single crowns maybe - still reckon the old B17 is a real cool looking contraption!
    Might look into marzocchi's.

Nice fork but VERY heavy

Nice fork but VERY heavy

They were first on my list of potential replacements for my Wotans but they're the same 2.5kg and coil sprung rather than air. The Micro Switch version is 450g lighter, but only available in white....
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Nothing wrong with coil forks, can't beat them for pure performance
  • Aye, but I'd be reluctant to pay £200 for forks that weigh the same but have more limited adjustability
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Get the right weight coil in and they're amazing. Don't they have air preloaded as well for fine adjustment?