Exposure lights, anyone use them?

avalanche_expert
avalanche_expert Posts: 177
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've bought an Exposure Maxx-D Mk8 and an Exposure remote switch.

I have some problems with them. The switch on the light itself is difficult to operate. It's not the most responsive and often takes a few stabs to respond. Hence the purchase of the remote switch. The thing is the remote switch is also for want of a better word crap!

Seriously I thought the switch was completely broken out of the box, but relentlessly pressing it has got it working. Though it's not always responsive, much like the captive switch on the light itself.

This light is a £350 light! The switch is £30. Exposure seem to be well reviewed everywhere I've looked, yet the most basic act of switching my unit off and on is a complete ball ache!

I've also noticed that the 'fuel guage' on the light showing the remaining burn time on the batteries current level of charge drops by an indicated 2 minutes per actual minute. So the remaining indicated time is really twice as long as what it really is.

I'm going to contact Exposure with my concerns, but I'm wondering who here has got or has used any Exposure lights? Do you like them and do they perform as expected considering the massive cost of what is basically a bike light?

The light spread and brightness are fantastic, but the hit and miss switching and the questionable battery display is a major disappointment for me.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Exposure have a very good returns department. I had a problem with a light and it was repaired and returned in a couple of days. I have a couple of lights and they are expensive but very good in my opinion. I've had 2 remote switches, the first one I bought in a sale as a friend had one and it worked well. Turned out the sale one was an older version that didn't work very well. Returned it and got the later version which is fine. The early one had a black rubber cover over the switch, the better one has a translucent cover over the switch.
    Thinking about it, the switching isn't very intuitive, but I find it works fine once I got used to it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above they are good with repairs - but for the price they should be! I don't find them particularly reliable.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I wish my experience with Exposure was the same - despite knowing someone who works there - I've had a light go back twice and it's still not sorted. Annoyingly, I've got another and it's the same - based on this experience I won't be buying another light from them again - they've had three attempts and can't fix their own products.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • £350 for a light?!?!

Return it as unfit for purpose under the sale of goods act, get a refund, and buy a couple of £30 quid Cree LED lights.

Then go down the pub to spend your savings!
  • Exposure have a very good returns department. I had a problem with a light and it was repaired and returned in a couple of days. I have a couple of lights and they are expensive but very good in my opinion. I've had 2 remote switches, the first one I bought in a sale as a friend had one and it worked well. Turned out the sale one was an older version that didn't work very well. Returned it and got the later version which is fine. The early one had a black rubber cover over the switch, the better one has a translucent cover over the switch.
    Thinking about it, the switching isn't very intuitive, but I find it works fine once I got used to it.

I do actually have the later translucent style remote switch. It's odd but it seems to be working a lot better all of a sudden.

Mounted to the bike it's ok, off the bike and in my hand it's pathetic. I'll run it for a while and see how it goes.
  • As above they are good with repairs - but for the price they should be! I don't find them particularly reliable.

In what way weren't yours reliable?

The biggest reason I bought this was for good burn time and output. I've had the cheap Cree stuff and have been left in the pitch black numerous times in the past.
  • I wish my experience with Exposure was the same - despite knowing someone who works there - I've had a light go back twice and it's still not sorted. Annoyingly, I've got another and it's the same - based on this experience I won't be buying another light from them again - they've had three attempts and can't fix their own products.

That's not very inspiring I must say!

I've emailed them and all I've had is a server failure notification that my message cannot be sent. I'll have to ring them up, but I'm going to try the light more thoroughly over a few rides as the nights are getting darker.
  • £350 for a light?!?!

Return it as unfit for purpose under the sale of goods act, get a refund, and buy a couple of £30 quid Cree LED lights.

Then go down the pub to spend your savings!

Been there and got the t-shirt with the cheap Cree lights! I've had enough of being left stuck in the pitch dark in the middle of nowhere last winter. 3 seperate lights and batteries all unrealiable.

I also dislike separate battery packs and cables. It's very messy and the batteries in my experience are not good enough to go anywhere far from home in the dark.