What rim for my Hope rear hub?

ambo999fire
ambo999fire Posts: 20
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am currently running WTB dual duty rims on formula hubs front and rear (from around 2009). I have absolutely no problems with them whatsoever - they still run as true as the day I first used them and have never had to re-tension the spokes in over 5000 miles of punishment! The only reason I am replacing is because I always promised myself that I would own a Hope rear hub one day - and that day has come!

I am quite heavy - weighing in at around 84 Kg (185 lbs). I generally ride all mountain / enduro, although I do a bit of XC and some occasional downhill. A ride without jumps is not a ride, I tend to steer clear of jumps over 3 feet high though. I ride tough rocky terrain and my rims regularly take a pounding from loose flints. I am currently running Kenda small block 8s in 26x2.10 which I love, but am likely to put some wider, stickier winter tyres on sooner rather than later.

I am looking for a balance of strength and weight - strong enough to cope with the pounding I give it yet light enough that I will not regret riding the entire South Downs way (100 miles) in a weekend should I wish to do so. I wonder if my best bet is to "better the devil I know" and stick with my tried and tested rim (which is a little heavy) or use this opportunity to try something new? Sadly my budget won't stretch to any more than £50 for the rim. I am considering Mavic 317 / 319, something from Sun Ringle, Nukeproof Generators, or sticking with what I have got. I am also happy to accept any recommendations if the budget is right!

What do you guys think?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stans ZTR Arch
    http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Arch-EX-26-32-Hole-Black-P889.aspx
    400g so not silly heavy, 21mm.

Just over your budget at about £60 but well worth it, try Tartybikes for spokes, I got Sapim double butted for about £30 for a wheelset, not sure what you budgeted for them but that may save enough to pay for the rim!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    WTB Frequency i-23/25 £50 or less
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    can get a DT swiss EX471 rim from bike-discount.de for £50 + postage
  • Oddly enough I was looking at the WTB Frequency i-25 but ruled it put because of one review saying it was really heavy - but maybe it was a duff review?

So nobody can recommend the Maivc, Sun Ringle or Nukeproof options then? This has just left me even more undecided!

Good shout on tartybikes for the spokes - I will look into that, thanks.
  • The Mavics are decent rims, but narrow (17mm and 19mm internal width respectively) and definitely geared towards XC. Sun Ringle make many different rims. Generators are made of cheese.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Oddly enough I was looking at the WTB Frequency i-25 but ruled it put because of one review saying it was really heavy - but maybe it was a duff review?
    The 25s aren't particularly heavy sub 500g (26") is not too shabby for a burly rim. I've also got some Flows on Pro IIs and in terms of riding I can't tell the difference between the two. The main difference is in the quality and finish - the Frequencies look a bit Deore compared to the Flows.

The i-23s work well with 2.25" tyres, the 25s give a bit more support to wider/higher volume tyres but are on the big side for a rear

There's an i-19 Frequency if you want a narrower rim and save some weight it's nearer to 400g
  • I've been running 29" stans arches on Pro 2 evos for a year, tubeless and have been happy with them. They take a battering on rocky downhills, drop offs etc and have stood up to it well. I wanted something a bit tougher than the Crests but not as chunky as the Flows. They are a doddle to set up and run tubeless which is another reason I got them.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    just gone DT EX471 myself, as I wanted a wide rim. Bike24
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer