Mudguards

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
So, my newly-built dynamo wheels (Pacenti SL23 with Hutchinson Intensive 25c tyres) won't fit my shiny new Portland Design Works mudguards. There's just not enough clearance under the (Campag SR) calipers. Bah. Goes to show that nominal tyre size is just nonsense, since they work fine with R-SYS SLRs and 24c tubulars.

Until the new Raceblade Long v2 is available, I'm going to have to go back to regular Raceblades. Which is fine (-ish), apart from the front mech, which gets no protection. I've never managed to get Crud Roadracers to work well (in fact I think I threw mine out in a pre-summer clearout. Double-bah.) Does anyone know of a suitable seat-tube or seat-stay mounted guard that would offer some shelter to the front mech? If they weren't so expensive, I'd think about cutting up the PDW guards to use the forward section from the back of the brake to the BB, but I'd rather get something purpose-built.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The PDWs are also available in a 48mm variety, if that's worth a look?

I hope they are going to fit my Boardman with 25mm Michelins as apparently they come up pretty wide
  • 964cup
    The PDWs are also available in a 48mm variety, if that's worth a look?

I hope they are going to fit my Boardman with 25mm Michelins as apparently they come up pretty wide
    It's not about width. There's not enough vertical space under the caliper for the guard. The rivets for the brake mount end up under the caliper, and the tyre rubs the guard at that point. I can't even get 23c clinchers to fit using those rims because the width of the rim forces me to run the caliper very open, which reduces the clearance.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Get rid of the mounting bracket under the brake caliper and secure it to the bridge with cable ties.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Isn't this the problem with trying to fit wide rim wheels, bigger tyres and mudguards to caliper brake frames that were not designed with appropriate clearances/long drop caliper mountings?
  • 964cup
    Isn't this the problem with trying to fit wide rim wheels, bigger tyres and mudguards to caliper brake frames that were not designed with appropriate clearances/long drop caliper mountings?
    Yes.
  • 964cup
    Get rid of the mounting bracket under the brake caliper and secure it to the bridge with cable ties.
    Thought about that; don't think there'll be enough clearance for the 25c tyres even without the rivets. I think Raceblade Longs are the long-term answer, as they have a linking strip that passes under the caliper, rather than the whole guard. I have considered taking my dremel to the PDW guards, but given that they're £60 and I have other bikes that they'll fit, I think I'll find other options if I can.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I'm not surprised you have difficulty, i can only just get 23mm tyres (on 22mm rims) under PDW guards on my CAAD8 frame.

23mm on narrow rims give more suitable clearance.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    so my 25mm Michelin pro4s don't fit. Bugger. Brake caliper was fine, it's the space under the fork just behind it which doesn't give enough space.

Picking up some new wheels tonight so hoping they're narrower