Dragon Ride 2016

kelliano
kelliano Posts: 72
Notice entries have just opened for this today, and was wondering if anyone had completed previous versions.

YouTube teaser looks decent enough.

Comments

• I've done it a couple of times, although not the current route.

Look back to posts from June and there will be plenty of chat around it.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I did the Gran Fondo last year, for the first time. Its a good, long and hard ride, certainly a challenge and with beautiful scenery.

Am doing it again this year with a friend, he should have been with me this year but he got knocked off his bike 2 weeks before. My times were around 11:15 overall with about 9:45 riding time I think. I made the most of the 4 stops, just completing it was my target!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Did it in 2010 I think, was tough but a lot shorter than the 230km Gran Fondo I've just signed up for. We're a group of 16, should be good fun.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Now I've ticked off my first imperial century (Ride London), I fancy a new challenge to force me to get my ar5e in shape!

I know there's a lot of climbing, how does this ride compare with say other sportives and the iconic rides like the Fred and the Exmoor Beast (which I notice has changed hands)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    £100 for an open roads sportive? Surely not
  • £100 for an open roads sportive? Surely not
    Even the 'Gran Fondo' looks expensive.

I rode the Dragon Ride in (IIRC) 2011 and 2012. The first was on a somewhat 'easier' route but with timing failure and chaotic starting arrangements. The second was at the current venue and the start/finish arrangement was very acceptable.

It used to sell out in hours, that's no longer the case. Not sure that means anything other than there are lots of variably challenging sportives available nowadays and it's not clear what you get for the cash.

Paul
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Must say I had been toying with the dragon tour as an idea. It does seem very pricey though.

It might be your of Wessex for a second year running for me.
  • Must say I had been toying with the dragon tour as an idea. It does seem very pricey though.

It might be your of Wessex for a second year running for me.
    The dates of the Dragon don't work for me - nor does the price! I intend to do ToW instead, and probably ride parts of the Dragon route past and present another weekend during the summer.