Trouble finding fit at 6'8"

srj90
srj90 Posts: 6
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I posted this on another site but haven't got a response yet so I figured I would try here as well.

Newbie here! I'm looking to buy a new bike, and one that actually fits me. I'm currently riding my dads old bike, and it's a bit small at 58cm. After any decent length ride my lower back is sore. I'm looking for something to take on longer rides, and I'm more concerned with comfort than all out performance.

I've been to a couple local bike shops, but they all stop at 60cm and I don't think I can get an idea of my fit on a bike that size. I also haven't got the feeling of them being all that knowledgeable with road bikes, as most seem more interested in the off road scene. It might just be the shops I'm going to though.

I don't have a ton of cash to spend on this sport, and I'm looking to keep the bike under $500. When I started I was looking for used bikes, but I have yet to find anything near my size in my price range. I'll do my best to list my measurements and expectations below, if I miss anything let me know.

Height: 6'8"
Inseam: 38
Experiance: New
Type of Riding: Looking to ride about 75-100 miles per week, roads and bike paths, flat and steep terrain (Currently at 50-75). Maybe more the better shape I get in. For fun and fitness, no plans to race.

Competitive Cycle Fit Calculator:
The French Fit (cm)
Seat Tube Range c–c: 65.4 - 65.9 cm
Seat Tube Range c–t: 67.4 - 67.9 cm
Top Tube Length: 56 - 56.4 cm
Stem Length: 10.9 - 11.5 cm
BB–Saddle Position: 80.4 - 82.4 cm
Saddle Handlebar: 58.7 - 59.3 cm
Saddle Setback: 10 - 10.4 cm

Because of my size and strange proportions (all leg, short torso), I highly doubt I'll find a frame fitting the above dimensions without going custom. If anyone knows of a relatively affordable bike with dimensions even close to these, I'd love to know about it.

So far the only bikes I've found that are close are the MotoBecane Mirage 64cm frames, and I'm looking at the SL with the Claris groupset. The top tube is listed way too long, but I'm hoping I can get where I need by changing stem to a shorter one. Is that a viable option? Or will it ruin the geometry of the bike. I'm also not sure if this geometry is suited for a more casual fit (more upright).

If anyone has any input about this bike for me, or any other that might fit, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Canyon frame sizes go up to 3XL although you may struggle to find something under $500...

They also have a size calculator on their website: www.canyon.com
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Specialized and trek do 64cm frames. Having long legs and a short body is the hardest to fit. Find a good bike shop and see what they advise, you can get shorter stems, shorter reach handle bars which could help you. I am very tall as well but luckily shorter legs than body. You may find second hand is the best value for money.
  • Yikes! I thought I had it bad at 6'5" / inside leg 35" - Giant do at least some that are capable of fitting me "out of the box" - there's still a good 3" of seat tube available to me. You'd be looking at one in size XL (not all of their range goes to XL and I found stock to be "very limited")

Your $500 budget poses a problem there though. Maybe a Giant Defy 5? (Especially if you can find a 2015 XL in stock somewhere)
  • I second Canyon. Colleague is your height etc and went for their largest frame. He needed a bike fit to get it all properly fitted to him though. Unless you go 2nd hand i fear you will be struggling price wise.
  • Thanks for the replies, I checked out all the suggestions made.

The Canyon looks like a great frame, and would likely fit me very well. Unfortunately its way out of my price range.

I checked out Trek and Specialized before with no luck. They do have the frames, but at a price outside my range. Although a lot closer than Canyon, so I'll keep my eyes peeled on the used market.

The Giant Defy 5 I missed completely because is is listed as a 58.5 cm bike. That said it has a very high stack with a relatively short reach, so if I can get the seat high enough it might be the best choice! I'm guessing you have the XL as well? It's more than I want to spend, at $600 (2015), but I would rather spend a little more now and have a bike that fits. Much more than that and I'm not sure I can swing it right now, as I have other things in my life soaking up money. The only problem now is I can't find any in Canada, any year(my price range is in USD, it's just easier to compare).
  • I doubt those measurements are correct, unless you have the torso of someone about 5'11 and the legs of someone 7'5".
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I doubt those measurements are correct, unless you have the torso of someone about 5'11 and the legs of someone 7'5".

My measurements (IE height and inseam) or the "Competitive Cycle Fit" bike measurement?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Cube bikes go up to 64cm last year's do anyway. I paid £600 for mine at one month old rrp £1000. I'm 6ft 5 with 36ins inseam.

My measurements (IE height and inseam) or the "Competitive Cycle Fit" bike measurement?

Yes the top tube/stem measurements are a couple of cms shorter than I'd ride and I'm over 6 inches shorter than you. I know people differ as regards torso/leg length proportions but I'd guess there is some error in the numbers you've put into that fit calculator.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Thanks for the replies, I checked out all the suggestions made.

The Giant Defy 5 I missed completely because is is listed as a 58.5 cm bike. That said it has a very high stack with a relatively short reach, so if I can get the seat high enough it might be the best choice! I'm guessing you have the XL as well? It's more than I want to spend, at $600 (2015), but I would rather spend a little more now and have a bike that fits. Much more than that and I'm not sure I can swing it right now, as I have other things in my life soaking up money. The only problem now is I can't find any in Canada, any year(my price range is in USD, it's just easier to compare).

Giant bikes (unfashionable as they are :)) all tend to be "compact" frame - so the measurements look small.

I do have an XL - not a Defy though - it was on my list but I went for a Revolt purely because the roads around here are more like gravel tracks - so whilst the Defy in XL was suitable it came to a choice between the Anyroad (in L) and the Revolt (in XL). If you can get to sit on one in the right size - you'll at least have a clue what you're looking for.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Decathlon Triban do a 63cm XXL. size guide says up to 6' 7". £300.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Decathlon Triban do a 63cm XXL. size guide says up to 6' 7". £300.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

OP is in Canada... I'm surmising that transporting a bike from Europe to Canada will eat a lot of his $500 budget ...
  • Yes the top tube/stem measurements are a couple of cms shorter than I'd ride and I'm over 6 inches shorter than you. I know people differ as regards torso/leg length proportions but I'd guess there is some error in the numbers you've put into that fit calculator.

I'll have a look tonight and see if I miss measured something, but I did redo it twice because it seemed off. FYI, most people around 6'2" have a longer body than I do, I really am all leg.

I went to a local bike shop last night to see if they had anything near my size. I tried out a flatbar Trek in 63.5cm, which I was able to raise the seat high enough, but I couldn’t tell much else because of the bars. Next I tried a 60.5 cm Norco with drops, and could tell it was miles better than my current bike but still small. The reach felt close, but my legs felt a little cramped. It had a stack of 62.6cm and a reach of 40.0cm, which is large for a 60.5cm bike

They were pointing me towards a Trek Émonda ALR 4 64 cm, which is way out of my price range. It's disappointing because it has the closest fit specs I’ve come across at 65.4cm stack and 40.1 cm reach. I just need about $800 to close the gap to my range.

I’m away this weekend, but next I’m going to head out to one of the biggest bike stores in the area to see if they offer anything close to my needs. Also there's a giant dealer down the street so I'll pop in and see how I fit that as well.

I am in Canada and I probably probably should have made that clear in the orginal post. That Decathlon bike looks about right, but without being able to try it it's tough to say how it would fit. If it were local I'd be all over it though!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Another thing to consider is flipping the stem to the upright position. This reduces reach while bringing the bars higher. If you check the web for stem calculators they show the difference. On my bike this reduced the reach by 1cm and raised the bars by 3.5cm, as i prefer a more upright position.
  • I remeasured everything last night, and DeVlaeminck was right, I was off on my thigh and total arm length.

The new numbers.
    Top Tube Length 57.6 - 58 Cm
    Seat Tube Range CC 65.4 - 65.9 Cm
    Seat Tube Range CT 67.4 - 67.9 Cm
    Stem Length 11.3 - 11.9 Cm
    BB Saddle Position 86.7 - 88.7 Cm
    Saddle Handlebar 59.6 - 60.2 Cm
    Saddle Setback 8.7 - 9.1 Cm
    Seatpost Type Setback

With these numbers I'm still an odd ball, but at least some of the production bikes are getting close enough for me to make adjustments to to fit. Now I just need to find one new or used in my price range.

Thanks everyone, all the posts have been very helpful!