Command or Contact Switch?

Bishbosh10
Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
OK, first off, apologies for yet another dropper post question but needs must!

Can I please ask for pros and cons for the Specialized Command Post vs the Giant Contact Switch?

I need a laid back seatpost to maintain my riding position so believe I am limited to the two posts above? I know the Giant is cheaper but there isn't enough in it for me to be swayed on price alone.

My current post is 375mm long and has about 200mm out of the frame when at normal (max) ride height.

Opinions please!
2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.

Comments

• I know a few people who have had problems with the Command post. Reliability doesn't seem to be good.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've had both the original and the newer black version of the contact switch and I've had no problems with either, always worked well.
  • I've used both versions of the command post and disliked both of them. If you get yourself in the way when the post's on it's way up you can wave goodbye to any children you might like to have. The 2016 one might be some good though.

Contact Switch seems to be generally well received.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have had the new black Contact Switch post for 2 years now and its still running smooth though I do put a mudguard on when its muddy to protect it. Bar switch isnt the most comfy to use but it has stood up to crashes and being banged on the ground when changing a tube unlike a couple of mates who have both broken Rockshox Reverb switches. It can be run stealth if you have the internal routing on your frame. I had it stealth on My Vitus hardtail but have it trad external on my new Trek full suss it takes about 10 minutes to swap between the 2 modes. I would like to have more drop than 100mm but for the £140 I paid its been great. There isnt a lot to go wrong there is only about 10 parts in it as long as you lube the wiper seal and keep the cable clean and smooth.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No remote (maybe DIY is possible!) but the Decathlon dropper is an excellent and well made item for not much money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A mate has the Contact and I cant see the difference between it and any more expensive model, lever is nice enough and action good - my only complaint vs my Lev is that if you pick the bike up by the saddle the post rises and stays up but that's pretty minor.

Not used or seen the Command but the older model had 3 positions only didnt it rather than infinite adjustment. I'd get a contact but if you are going second hand beware as if someone is selling it its likely got a problem.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I have the newer Command Post with the 12 or so positions and it's been faultless so far (3 months). My father in law has got the Giant Contact Switch and that seems pretty good too. Probably not much in it to be honest.

Both have been faultless in the mud too. Just make sure that whatever one you end up with, you keep it clean after a ride. I usually lube the seal with some PTFE spray or a drop of wet lube and cycle the post up and down a few times.