Specialized FSR XC Comp Advice Please

WalterWhite
WalterWhite Posts: 32
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

When I started riding again earlier this year I was using my dad's stock 2007 Hardrock.

Over time I replaced the wheels, brakes, fork, pedals, gears and a few other bits. Not much remains of the original bike other than the frame, seat/seatpost, handlebars, stem etc.

I'm mainly doing some light ~10 mile pretty flat-ish trails around my local area, as well as some more challenging trails (for a beginner at least) such as Cannock Chase Monkey Trail which have some small jumps, rocky sections, steps, ski jumps etc, nothing too crazy, but fun nonetheless.

I noticed that most of the other guys doing these trails are on full suspension bikes, and it looks like fun. I'm thinking of upgrading my frame to a cheap-ish (used) full suspension frame. I'm never going to be doing any extreme downhill stuff or jumping 10ft in the air or anything like that, just your average trails with light jumps and fun stuff.

I've been offered a 2010 FSR XC Comp frame for £200ish. It comes with an X-Fusion rear shock and looks pretty tidy.

I'm probably going to buy it, but I'm wondering what the difference is between the 'XC Comp' and a Stumpjumper. They look pretty similar to my untrained eye, and seem a similar price, but everyone raves about the Stumpjumper online, and I see loads of these at Cannock when I do the trails there, but I never hear anyone talk about an XC Comp... So is the XC Comp an entry level version of the Stumpjumper? or What's the difference?

Here is an identical frame to the one I've been offered, but I will be buying the frame only, so ignore all other bits! :)

p4pb6468180.jpg

Any help would be great :)

Comments

• I think SJ frames were lighter (M5 v M4 tubing), longer travel forks (130mm v 120mm) and typically higher spec components (not relevant if you are building from frame)

I had a 2009 FSR XC for five years and was more than happy with it as it handled all I threw at it, with just replacing components as they wore our (that did not take long with Avid brakes!)
  • Slacker geometry on the Stumpjumper, better rear suspension with more travel and a generally better quality frame.
  • Thanks both! :-D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need rear suspension at Cannock, but I went to an FS as I found the HT was just too much work and I had to slow down due to fatigue after a fast lap (my lack of skill and advancing age will be contributory factors!), first time out on my new FS (just 100mm travel) and I set 49 PR's on Strava (just as an indication of how much faster it was), also it was more fun as I could get on and ride and not have to try and pace myself.

The FSR XC would be fine for Cannock or similar but I think it's a little overpriced for just a frame (circa £150 would be reasonable) and if you want to go somewhere needing something 'bigger' it won't be at it's best.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    My friend recently picked up a stuntjumper with the brain fade rear shock in good nick for £160 to give you an idea. Its in my workshop at the moment waiting to be built up. Usual marks from cable rub but in good nick overall in a lovely shade of plum. As Rookie says the SC should be fine for Cannock ive done it on a hardtail as well.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I had a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR, I miss that bike it was an awesome frame and the Stumpjumpers came with Fox Triad shocks which have 3 position - Open, Trail or fully locked out.

Fully locked out was excellent for fireroad/road climbs (and the middle setting was brilliant for rocky climbs), better than the CTD shocks in climb mode.