Waterproof MTB boots

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys. Anyone know of some high quality, fully waterproof MTB boots that are just flat soled without any holes for SPD? Struggling to find anything on the web that isn't geared towards motorbikes.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just wear waterproof socks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Just wear waterproof socks!
    I concur. The sock approach has some advantages; they're quite often actually waterproof, water can come over the top of the shoes without your feet getting wet, you can wear them with several different shoes, long socks and long shorts is often a more comfortable combination than long trousers etc.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Just get walking boots. I got a great pair of Adidas boots with a nice flat sole that work great on the MTB.
  • Yep, sealskins socks for me too, plus overshoes when it gets cold.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Yeh cheers guys I know the socks are a good alternative. It's for my mate actually, who has had many fails with sealskins including the inner membrane ripping regularly. He really wants decent boots. I guess the hiking boots are an idea but he reckons on them being too heavy and clunky through the sole. So any other suggestions?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The challenge you have is water seeps in via the leg unless you have something in to stop it. You can use freezer bags on relatively short rides in heavy rain between socks and shoes, they are completely waterproof but i wouldn't recommend it for very long rides.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I got army surplus 'MVP' socks off ebay, waterproof although as with anything while riding you can get water running down your leg and inside, so I wear a thin pair of normal socks inside and they wick it up and act like a wetsuite so your foot stays plenty warm.

Did a ride at Cannock, snow on the ground and really wet, after an hour half the group were complaining that there feet were painful with cold, when we got back (2 1/2 hours) some of their feet were blue, mine were toasty!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    My ghetto solution is to wear poly bags over my socks. This works fine and if it is cold you don't get sweaty. Used them on up to 6 hour rides in wet conditions and stayed dry.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: