Would I be mad? Ard Rock Enduro 2016

No Gear No Idea
No Gear No Idea Posts: 11
edited January 2017 in MTB beginners
To plan to do Ard Rock next August (the 35km non comp one, or something similar)?

Why? Rather than focus on getting fit and losing some of the lard for the sake of it I think this target for skills and length would be more motivating for me, with those other benefits coming along with working toward August 16.

Who? 6ft tall and 97kg, who at fit weight was more like 77kg (the terrible thing women and kids do to you!), no discernible talent off road (some initial coaching booked) and no interest in scaring the locals on the road MAMIL style.

What kit? Currently dusted off and lubed up my 90's 5000series Carrera fully rigid for the fitness side but appreciate that would probably be suicide for the event, I presume a full suss would be order of the day.

I'm just throwing this out there as not sure if this is realistic in 11 months or should aim a little lower...so all feedback welcome even if it's "don't be stupid you'll die of a heart attack on the up sections and die of crashing on the way down!"

Cheers

Comments

• Hi. I would say you have a good approach. This is coming a new mtb'er startede for 3 months ago, but have been in sports at a elite level for years, but now slowing down a little. I made the decision that I would not use either, strava, endomondo or anything else that meassures me in any way. I also use a diffrent bike for commuting. For me the most important thing when mountain biking is the fun element, the skills and so on. The weight loss and muscle buildup for me is a secondary thing that i never put any thought into. I go to the gym for that stuff. So if i was you i would keep that approach about learning how to bike and not focus on irrelevant stuff like weightloss while having fun. Ohh and have fun at Ard Rock
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I like this post - good luck and tell us all about it. If you are doing it for charity as well then post the donating link.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Since reading this, I am defo up for doing this aswell!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The trick is to be realistic, only slight changes in diet with the improved fitness will make the weight drop off. Just cutting out all sugary drinks and snacks makes a huge difference. Being lighter makes the uphills alot easier, good luck :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    20Kg saved will reduce the energy required by about 110Kcal per 500m of climbing (and about 35litres less of air you have to drag through the burning throat) according to a recent magazine article.

A 29er hardtail would cope just fine from what I can see of the course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mini update, managed to buy a secondhand Orange Crush (2015) so one less excuse taken care of. Couple weeks with no alcohol and a few spins on the Carrera with eldest...small steps...
  • It's a shame you're so far away from me. I'm fairly local to this event (within an hour's drive of it). I'm at a similar weight, slightly less, but then you're taller than me. And taking a similar approach - I'm doing a lot of road miles (compared to what I used to be doing until a couple of months ago - i.e. none). I did my first sportive thing on Sunday and even though it was only 55 miles, it was hard. So far I've still been eating all kinds of crap and I've only lost about 6kg, put about 2 of those back on in the last week that I was on holiday :(

But I'm determined to get down to 75ish kg, of solid awesome by the time of the 'Ard Rock. :)
  • It's a shame you're so far away from me. I'm fairly local to this event (within an hour's drive of it). I'm at a similar weight, slightly less, but then you're taller than me. And taking a similar approach - I'm doing a lot of road miles (compared to what I used to be doing until a couple of months ago - i.e. none). I did my first sportive thing on Sunday and even though it was only 55 miles, it was hard. So far I've still been eating all kinds of crap and I've only lost about 6kg, put about 2 of those back on in the last week that I was on holiday :(

But I'm determined to get down to 75ish kg, of solid awesome by the time of the 'Ard Rock. :)
    An hour north or an hour south of the event?
    It just got harder, no 35km event, it's the full 45km :shock: :?
    The same course and timed stages as the Ard Rock Enduro. The Sport takes place on Sunday for riders whose main priority is completing the epic challenge.
  • No Gear No Idea
    No Gear No Idea Posts: 11
    edited July 2016
    :(:(:(
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Just stumbled across this post as I'm interested in doing the 2017 Ard Rock Enduro (just to complete it, not race). Just wondered how you got on with it and would you recommend? I did the London to Brighton Off Road last year and it was really good fun but I wanted something that would test my skill set a little more than bridleways. Is it just hill climb followed by crazy descent over and over?
  • Vulva65 wrote:
    Just stumbled across this post as I'm interested in doing the 2017 Ard Rock Enduro (just to complete it, not race). Just wondered how you got on with it and would you recommend? I did the London to Brighton Off Road last year and it was really good fun but I wanted something that would test my skill set a little more than bridleways. Is it just hill climb followed by crazy descent over and over?

2017 sold out in about 2 minutes ages ago. It would be a signficant step up over London to Brighton off-road in terms of descending.
  • vulva65
    Vulva65 wrote:

2017 sold out in about 2 minutes ages ago. It would be a signficant step up over London to Brighton off-road in terms of descending.

Yeah I realised that just after I posted this, went and looked at details and it was all sold out so I guess that's on the to do list now. Any other similar events you would recommend for somebody who is not necessarily interested in the race side of it, I just want the challenge, want the distance to be between 20 and 60 miles and want plenty of fun trails in it. thoughts?
  • Vulva65 wrote:
    Vulva65 wrote:

Yeah I realised that just after I posted this, went and looked at details and it was all sold out so I guess that's on the to do list now. Any other similar events you would recommend for somebody who is not necessarily interested in the race side of it, I just want the challenge, want the distance to be between 20 and 60 miles and want plenty of fun trails in it. thoughts?

What kind of trail experience do you have? Enduro type events tend to push the limits quite far at times. The Tweedlove events are very good, I'd have a look at them.
  • vulva65
    What kind of trail experience do you have? Enduro type events tend to push the limits quite far at times. The Tweedlove events are very good, I'd have a look at them.

I'm a pretty average rider, ride Cardinham and Lanhydrock trails, venture up to Wales once or twice a year and tend to do blues and reds at BPW and a couple of blacks now and then. I'll have a look at the tweedlove events, thanks bud.
  • If you ride Cardinham and Lanhydrock you could also go up to Haldon. I haven't had time to get up there for a fair while (I live in plymouth) but I like it up there, plenty of trails. Also a far amount of off piste if you know where to look!
  • vulva65
    If you ride Cardinham and Lanhydrock you could also go up to Haldon. I haven't had time to get up there for a fair while (I live in plymouth) but I like it up there, plenty of trails. Also a far amount of off piste if you know where to look!

Yeah I've ridden Haldon a few times, not for about a year though, it's brilliant though, probably my favourite of the three, just at a 4 hour round trip (I'm in St. Ives) it's a lot of effort. There's talk of a Cornwall Bike Park in the future which would be incredible, but I have a feeling that is a loooong way off at the moment.
  • Oh, thats a fair jaunt then!
    I've seen the BPC stuff (theres a FB page too if you haven't seen it already) and that looks ace if it goes through. I'd be there most weekends (travel permitted)!
    I am yet to actually ride Cardinham yet as I've only been with the family and my 4yr old girl isn't up to the challenge yet so my bike stayed home :(
  • vulva65
    Oh, thats a fair jaunt then!
    I've seen the BPC stuff (theres a FB page too if you haven't seen it already) and that looks ace if it goes through. I'd be there most weekends (travel permitted)!
    I am yet to actually ride Cardinham yet as I've only been with the family and my 4yr old girl isn't up to the challenge yet so my bike stayed home :(

Cardinham is definitely worth the travel, it's always nice to ride new things too. It's got a bit of a climb right at the start but it soon starts opening up into some flowy singletrack and some lovely switchbacks. Maybe the family can go for the walk around the woods whilst you do a quick loop or two. Lanhydrock is also about a mile up the ride so also worth a visit if you're down this way.
  • Have been to Lanhydrock a few times, my girl loves the balance bike loop by the skills area! I did a night race there last month as well which was pretty cool, just mega muddy!
    I'm thinking of waiting til the summer so the Mrs can take the kids while I have a play, hopefully the boy will be ready to start with a balance bike by then and i can convince the girl to lose the stabilizers! Might use Haldon to convince her of that, she loves the skills area and pump track by the cafe but only done it on a balance bike so will have to see.