Pedals won't fit Chainset

obrienconor
obrienconor Posts: 6
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
I have a Boardman Comp bike and have been living with the as delivered pedals and straps for two years.
Finally decided to go for a new set of pedals and chose Look "Keo Easy" pedals/cleats go with the Gossamer FSA chainset on the bike. Much to my dismay having nearly spancilled myself getting the old pedals off - the new ones had a different thread size. I managed to get a refund on the pedals and cleats and am now looking for some help. n my ignorance (and there's plenty of that in my case) I had assumed there would be a universal thread size for pedals.

Anybody any suggestions as to any options to go with this chainset ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There are only two sizes 9/16" and 1/2"

The only bikes to have 1/2" are kids and some shopper bikes with one piece cranks.

Yours should have fitted as but maybe you were trying to fit then on the wrong side.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/pedal-installation-and-removal-pw-3-pw-4-pw-5-hcw-16
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for that - I discovered that when trying to take the existing pedals off. I'm pretty sure that the thread is different size. I used the 8mm hex tool to try and fit the new ones.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.lookcycle.com/en/us/route/pedales/us-keo-plus.html

Well the pedals are correct. And I don't think th cranks will be different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I think I'll bring the bike in and ask the guys in the shop to have a go at it
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Are you sure you were trying to tighten them in the correct direction? I'm not questioning your ability to fit pedals, but I've come across people trying to fit pedals all thinking they thread in clockwise like a normal bolt and nut. Pedals tighten overhand towards the front wheel.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Don't worry - I question my own ability to fit pedals !

I'm pretty sure I tried each pedal on either side in both directions.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Somewhere, usually on the axle of most pedals (someone with these Looks may be able to confirm exactly where), there will be an L and an R stamped (R being drive side).

As above, there are only really a couple of pedal standards and on the very vast majority of bikes you will encounter only one.

I am afraid that this all points to you having installed them the wrong way around and/or tightened one or both of them the wrong way as well. Hopefully you have not busted the threading on the cranks or you might be looking at an expensive mistake.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Having spent the weekend swapping pedals around for various reasons, I was reflecting on the fact that road bike pedal threads is just about the only thing they haven't introduced different standards for. Those pedals should have fitted your cranks...

I'm baffled.
  • There is of course the option that Halfords managed to originally fit the left pedal in the right crank and v/v and have borked the threads!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There is of course the option that Halfords managed to originally fit the left pedal in the right crank and v/v and have borked the threads!

I'd not considered that! Bloody hell, you'd have to be wilfully stupid to do that. Twice. :shock:

(Sherlock would approve. When you have eliminated the impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Standard thread size, You or someone previously must have damaged the threads and they probably now need heli coiling , Check for signs of Swarf and metal filings in the thread, Will the original pedals not fit back in / Just to confirm the thread is still good?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,162
    Despite knowing very well the left has a LH thread, my favorite trick is to stand on the other side of the bike and try to turn the thing the wrong way.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I am afraid that this all points to you having installed them the wrong way around and/or tightened one or both of them the wrong way as well. Hopefully you have not busted the threading on the cranks or you might be looking at an expensive mistake.

These are Keos - not SPDs. It's pretty hard to see how even the worst of Halfords mechanics could try to put a road bike pedal on the wrong crank arm......... is it?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    There is of course the option that Halfords managed to originally fit the left pedal in the right crank and v/v and have borked the threads!
    lol :lol:

I'm sure if they did do that then it's unlikely that the OP would have got them off, they would be stuck fast.
  • Would they not also have been "facing the wrong way" so impossible to clip into?
  • Ive had similar problems with new pedals or cranks. You need to make sure they are dead straight when inserting. Also get a wire brush to clean the threads.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    When you do eventually get them in, put a dob of grease or copperslip on the threads before fitting and don't tighten them up grunt-tight. You will need to get them off again one day, probably after a long winter and a bit of grease / cs + just nipping them up makes that a whole lot easier. They can't come undone as the point of lh threads on one side is because pedals naturally try to wind themselves in.
  • I'm delighted to report that I've managed to get a set of pedals onto my bike !
    Reading all your helpful posts over the last few days, I went back for another go at it and managed to get Shimano SPDs installed. I'm pretty convinced the Keo's would have gone on as well, but was probably so knackered after the debacle with removing the original set that I was suffering from finger and head trouble.

Sorry for my ignorance in these matters - I've only recently get into this activity in any sort of semi-serious manner.

Thanks for your help !