Rockshox tora TK question

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I need your help with Rockshox Tora TK 2011, I been on few trails today and I managed to get the shock sort of setup with what I like but I'm only getting just under 80mm travel :(, now bear with me this my sound like daft way but if I done it right I adjusted my sag with preload is that's how you should do it??? I was under the impression this shock is 100m travel is this common on basic coils shocks?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Toras can be anywhere from 80-130mm travel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Additionally the bump stop is part of the travel but you'll rarely use up much of that once it comes into play.

Yes you adhjust sag with preload, what sag are you running, maybe try a little less?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    I'm running 20mm in normal sitting position, I don't do jumps or anything like that, also when I had only about 10mm sag I found that the ride was a bit harsh when going over roots ect.

I seen some videos about extending the travel of forks but not sure if this is available on my model, also measured the upper fork part and is 100mm, could it be that someone set up as 80mm travel? Don't get me wrong it works but trying to get the best out of it.
  • The Rookie
    100mm of exposed stanchion almost certainly means 80mm travel....even at full bump forks will have circa 10-15mm of exposed stanchion left.

Sag should be set in the attack riding position, not seated.

25% sag is normally suggested (10 or 12.5% would be far too little) as a starting point (then refine while riding) so you are close, but that depend son whether 25% is 20 or 25mm!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    100mm of exposed stanchion almost certainly means 80mm travel....even at full bump forks will have circa 10-15mm of exposed stanchion left.

Sag should be set in the attack riding position, not seated.

25% sag is normally suggested (10 or 12.5% would be far too little) as a starting point (then refine while riding) so you are close, but that depend son whether 25% is 20 or 25mm!

Well in that case do you calculate on the travel that is actually available at 80mm or do you do it at total stanchion length :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The travel quite obviously (I thought).
  • ade555
    how about extending the travel on this fork??? or is just waste of money
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can't be done on this version.
  • ade555
    [/url]
    Can't be done on this version.

I could be wrong but looking at YouTube video from sram tech the tora tk 2011 coil saying travel up to 120mm in26" wheel version and 100mm in 29r also there is coils available in 80mm/100/120 from Amazon, looking at the sram manual it don't show anywhere about this apart from removing spacers on air forks. Have you done any work on this particular fork?
  • The Rookie
    Because they make a fork like that, doesn't mean it uses the same parts, quite a few parts will be different and it's not cost effective to buy new.

For example I have 100mm SID's, but the 120mm SIDs are a new Crown steerer upper and a new air shaft.
  • ade555
    Because they make a fork like that, doesn't mean it uses the same parts, quite a few parts will be different and it's not cost effective to buy new.

For example I have 100mm SID's, but the 120mm SIDs are a new Crown steerer upper and a new air shaft.

Thanks for explaining