Help! Junior ciclist / racing need a new bike

digitalman
digitalman Posts: 5
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Greetings

pretty new here :-)

I truly would welcome some good advice. My son is first year junior ciclist competing at national level with his team. So, this is yet another 'what to buy and advice thread'.

His Scott RC1 (2010 frame) bicycle, is to be retired (that is, traded in for a new bicycle). So the idea, is to trade in for a new one (+ some cash... well, a lot of more)

We have seen some, around, but I feel lost. for sure, we are looking at carbon, racing road bike, ultrega / Force 22 or higher and good looks :-)

From our checking, we are able to get a very good trade in deal with a Focus Cayo 1.0 (2015). The part I am confused, I have read that it is a good racing machine while others claim it to be a great endurance bike.

On another shop, not so good trade in, but recommend Scott Addict 20 with a nice discount.

Personally, we are fascinated with Cayo components and very low weight. but afraid, that the frame is too soft for racing at junior level (unfortunatelly, no bike to test... but I think a 5 minutes test would not clarify anyting).

any advice? of course I would appreciate any other model/brand recommendation.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are the other guys in his team riding?
  • What are the other guys in his team riding?

Several Trek's and Jorbi's in his team:

Trek Madone (Ultrega equipment)
    Jorbi (Campagnolo equipment)
    Eddy Merckx SanRemo (not sure the equipment)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Are you in Portugal? Seriously, if your son is part of a team riding at national level, there should be more than enough knowledge within that.
  • A Cayo isn't soft, I found it pretty stiff and a bit of a steamroller, but a young rider might get away with something more aggressive.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I own a Cayo 7.0 (exact same frame as the 1.0, different groupset) that I have done minor mods to (wheels, brakes and saddle). The Cayo is definitely capable of being a race bike, but is also comfortable enough to put down some miles. It's as quick as any other bike out there in it's class.

If you want the through and through race thoroughbred from Focus you need to look at the Izalco Max. I tried both and to be honest could not justify the difference enough for my experience level. No doubt there would be a difference, but not that I could notice.

I would recommend trying one before you buy, I know they won't let you there but there may be another dealer. FWIW my Cayo is the best bike I have ever owned for my needs and has never once given me an issue.
  • Are you in Portugal? Seriously, if your son is part of a team riding at national level, there should be more than enough knowledge within that.

to answer your question, yes I am from Portugal.

as far as knowledge on the team, they only recommend certain level of equipment and avoid bike brand's and models.
  • Thanks DeVlaeminck and Bman!!

after reading your post (specially Bman) and done some reading (basically, read the whole internet), my son tested Focus Izalco Max and loved it.

So, this saturdady we bought Izalco Max 5.0 (entry level), and I think it was a pretty good deal. Eventhough it is Izalco entry level, it has a great weight (6.7 kg) and good/solid components - with room to upgrade.

Yesterday, my son had a decompression trainning, so did not push himself and the Izalco too much. He is impressed how easy he can 'explode' with this bike.

So, today he will go back to the road, and test it harder!