Pikes Air shaft change

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
So i thought i would change the travel on my 150mm Pikes to 160,Bought the air shaft and done the lower leg service plus swapped the Air shaft over,in the video on Youtube the guy seems to get his forks to compress completely after re-assembling them,mine on the other hand felt very stiff and difficult to compress,when i put them back on the bike they felt like they were still full of air even though i followed his instructions,Also felt like it took ages to get air back in the forks, Have i killed my forks or missed something?
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Impossible to say from that description I'm afraid.

What video on youtube? An RS one or some random guy?

Stiff and difficult to compress can be stiction or a spring effect, yours was......

In what way did it feel like it took ages to get air in? A shock pump is very small volume and a 160mm Pike has a big air spring to fill, it does take a while!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/mountain-bike-videos/workshop/change-travel-rockshox-solo-air-fork-video-325075
    This is the video I used,I will try get the bike out and hopefully ride my local trail and see if everything runs ok,
    Thanks for your reply Rookie
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie