Hybrid vs. road

Koelkast
Koelkast Posts: 5
edited September 2015 in Commuting general
Hi all, seeking some advice from those in the know.

I bought a starter road bike a couple of years back- a Raleigh Airlite 100- and after buzzing about town with it for a couple of months found it quite uncomfortable, put it away for the winter and it never came back out. This summer I've been out a few times when on holiday, using rented/borrowed hybrids, and loved it, to the point that I've resolved to get back on the bike at home.

Now, I have it in my head that, with a few adjustments (comfier saddle, thicker tyres etc.) I could make the Raleigh into a sufficiently comfortable ride. Or would I be better getting shot of it and using the proceeds to invest in a hybrid? Suspect, in terms of just comfort, the answer to that is the latter. But then I have no interest in anything other than road cycling- plus, would I regret it if I get into riding and I'm left with a bike that's just not going to go fast enough no matter how much I pimp it?

My intention in the first instance is to commute. It's only 7-8 miles one way, but I live literally just east of the Pennines so it's rolling, to say the least: nearly 600ft of climbing on the way home and a net rise of about 480ft, according to Google Maps. If and when I go on longer rides, they too will inevitably be hilly.

I'm just looking for some pointers on which way to go, whether to make a comfy road bike or buy a hybrid (I'd have £300 or so- roughly what I spent on the Raleigh- to spend on one of those). Is it chiefly personal preference, or is one or the other overwhelmingly better in most cases?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You say it was uncomfortable - what was uncomfortable about it? And in what way were the hybrids more comfortable? Unless we know that, we wont be able to help.
  • I'd like to get some clarification on what is meant by "hybrid" too, since it covers so many different things.

Flat bars instead of drop bars, but still skinny 700c wheels - hybrid

MTB with no suspension can also be called a hybrid

In between , you get cyclocross style machines, which still have 700c wheels but clearance for fitting up to 35mm tyres.
  • The saddle caused me trouble- was feeling it after 15 minutes while I could quite easily go a couple of hours on the bikes I've been riding of late. I would also feel a bit of stiffness in the upper back and shoulders after any significant length of time. I'm pretty tall, over 6'3", so I assumed this was due to not being suited to the posture- it felt better when I tried to 'sit up', and riding more upright on other bikes I get next to none of the same problem.

Given I'll be cycling almost exclusively on roads, I would be looking towards the road end of the hybrid spectrum. Given my (limited) experience, I'd probably want slightly-thicker-than-road tyres- maybe in the 32-35mm range- and a fairly upright sitting position. I'll listen to any advice on offer, though. The main thing is to find a bike I want to get on in the morning: one that I'll be comfortable on without feeling like I'm pulling a bus.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am normally the first to advocate Hybrids (of the road bike with flat bars variety) but based on your reasons for discomfort, I would first prescribe a different saddle, wider tyres (running at lower pressures) and adjusting the bike to fit you properly. The handlebars can be raised, often quite easily if there are spacers above the stem mount which can be swapped to below and also the stem mount can be changed for one with a steeper angle and/or a longer/shorter one.

Were you riding always in the drops? Most roadies only do this between 10-20% of the time, riding mainly on the 'hoods' (higher up).

Buying a saddle and some tyres wont be wasted money if you still decide to change bikes either - because they can be transplanted onto the new bike.

If you do go for a hybrid, then it sounds like you wont want a low down, stretched out, aggressive hybrid which is more like a road bike with flat bars. I would avoid any hybrid with any form of suspension - I have yet to see one with suspension that worked well enough to be worth having and they always use really heavy forks too. Maybe something like a Specialized Sirrus which is a relaxed cruiser but still pretty light and responsive. My favourite is the Boardman Hybrid I have but it sounds to me like the racey geometry would not be for you.
  • Thanks for the detailed response. Think I'll take your advice in the first instance and try to make it work with the Raleigh- like you say, I can always re-use any accessories if it doesn't quite work out. Specialized recommendation also noted, with thanks- tempting though it would be to plump for one of those sleek-looking Boardmans!
  • I have a Boardman hybrid comp over 2000 miles and not looked back very fast reliable you just can't beat the spec for the price!
  • I find most saddles on bikes fairly poor, and tend to buy charge spoon/similar, some people find it difficult to find a saddle they like.

Assuming the Raleigh Airlite is the right size for you? Could try swapping stems and or spacers so there is less saddle to handlebar drop, are you comftable with the bike? If people are a bit unsure of the bike they can end up gripping the bars which gives them sore shoulders/back etc.

Looking at the reviews the Raleigh Airlite 100 can take reasonably wide tyres for a roadie, 28mm which should feel more comftable, etc. not as wide as most hybrids or even Cycle Cross bikes (33mm) but wide as far as road slicks go.
  • Thanks. Yes, a good, comfy saddle is first on the list (any recommendations or, as I imagine, is that totally unique to the rider?) and I'll look into shorter stems- it makes sense that back and shoulder discomfort could come from there. Also good to get confirmation that it will fit 28mm tyres- had reckoned as much, going by eye.
  • I have a Boardman hybrid comp over 2000 miles and not looked back very fast reliable you just can't beat the spec for the price!

Triban 540 SE flat bar?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have a Boardman hybrid comp over 2000 miles and not looked back very fast reliable you just can't beat the spec for the price!

Triban 540 SE flat bar?
    I'd miss the discs on an all-weather commuter.

Worth noting that right now the Boardman Hybrid Team (carbon fork, 20 spd & hydro discs) can be had for 550 beans @ Halfords. Bargain - I just ordered one to replace my stolen Carrera Grpyhon.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    a good, comfy saddle is first on the list (any recommendations or, as I imagine, is that totally unique to the rider?).
    Very personal, however the Charge Spoon (or Madison Flux, its the same saddle underneath - there are a few others names for it as well)) seems able to match to more posteriors than most, plus they resell readily on eBay. The Cro-mo rails are worth paying the extra £1 or so more for (reduced weight) and you can find them starting at about £20 delivered. I have 2 and a Charge knife (they don't do a fork saddle for some reason, can't think why! :D )
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • a good, comfy saddle is first on the list (any recommendations or, as I imagine, is that totally unique to the rider?).
    Very personal, however the Charge Spoon (or Madison Flux, its the same saddle underneath - there are a few others names for it as well)) seems able to match to more posteriors than most, plus they resell readily on eBay. The Cro-mo rails are worth paying the extra £1 or so more for (reduced weight) and you can find them starting at about £20 delivered. I have 2 and a Charge knife (they don't do a fork saddle for some reason, can't think why! :D )

that is what I have across my 3 bikes charge spoon/ Madison Flux
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Winner of this years Mountain Mayhem solo (24hr MTB race) only uses Spoons.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.