Which On-One Parkwood - Recon vs. Revelation forks

Grand
Grand Posts: 10
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking for a new mtb and I think I have narrowed it down to the On-One Parkwood (initially considered Boardman Pro 29 and a Canyon Al 7.9 but both sold out in my size...) But I'm torn between the different options. I would really like to keep the price down and try to be realistic about my needs, but on the other hand I fear buying to cheap a fork. I once had a cheap Cube bike with a Rockshox XC28 or XC30 fork and it was terrible (I would rather ride rigid). On-One sells two kits and I had them offer a third option but I'm just torn between the three:

699£: Rockshox Recon Silver Tk 120mm Solo Air forks, Avid bb3 discs and Sram X5 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/on-one-parkwood-sram-x5-mountain-bike

999£: Rockshox Revelation RL 120mm, Sram Guide R discs and Sram X9 (not X9 chainset though) http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX9/on-one-parkwood-sram-x9-mountain-bike

900£ (custom offer): Rockshox Revelation RL 120mm, Sram Guide R discs and Sram X5

What attract me to the more expensive offers is the Revelation forks, but i'm just not sure how big a difference it would make over the Recon in real life. Do any of you have any useful inputs on that? On a more general note which option do you think is the best bang-for-the-buck?

On the 999£ kit I'm a bit put down by the fact that its not a full X9 setup. I plan on riding quite alot this comming winter.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks, Mads

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The crankset is the least important part of the drivetrain, I really wouldn't sweat over that.

Definitely the Rev's over the XC, personally I'd try and get the X9 rather than the interim option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited September 2015
    The forks will make a big difference. So what the pedantic one says.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Who?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Sorry now fixed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Definitely the Revelation, biggest difference you'll notice.
  • Grand
    So there will be a noticeable difference between the Recon and the Revelation? Do you think it worth the extra 100£ going from X5 to X9 when ita mainly about upgrading the rear and front mechs? As far as I can see it won't save me that much weight, but will probably win me some reliability/durability . But on the other hand X5 mechs are cheap to replace
  • cooldad
    The shifters make a big difference as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Revelation is well worth the extra cash. It rides so much better and is quite a lot lighter.
  • Revelations are much better than Recons and shifters and cables will make a bigger difference than mechs.
    Furthermore, the more expensive version gets Guide four piston brakes over the rebranded Avid Elixirs. I recently rode a Trek Fuel with the same X5 setup and the shifters are very unpleasant to use. By comparison the X9 shifters on my old Boardman were excellent. Plus the X9 mech is the clutched Type 2.1 version, whereas the X5 has no clutch. Just food for thought
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Grand
    You have me convinced about the opting for the Revelations forks. Good points about the X9 shifters now I just have to figure out whether they are worth 100£ for me. Alternatively I could get the 900£ custom offer + reverb dropper post for 1050£ but although I think the dropper post could be fun I think I have come to the conclusion that its to much of a luxury accessory for me. QR + thigh can with a bit of practice do the same:/
  • Grand
    Thanks for the help everyone, I went for the X9 setup. Cheers