Advice on new stem purchase

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I need to buy a longer stem. I've recently bought a Boardman Hybrid Pro in the largest size available.

It feels fine when in the saddle but out the saddle I feel like I'm too far over the bars.

I've compared the stem length to my road bike and it is 100mm on the Boardman and 120mm on my Cube. Plus the stem on my Cube is flat whilst the Boardman has 7º rise.

I'm looking to buy a 120mm flat stem to replace the one on the Boardman. The Boardman site gives the bar diameter as 31.8

I've never bought a replacement stem before so just wanted to check that there is nothing I'm missing.

Basically a 120mm longer, 31.8mm diameter stem should fit no problems, right? Wiggle and CRC seem to classify stems as either road or MTB. What is the primary difference?

Comments

• curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I'm looking at an Easton EA70 Stem on CRC - Black, 31.8mm diameter, 120mm length and 6º rise.

This should physically fit the bike no issues, right?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The stem will fit fine to your bike. However, just because the stem on your other bike is longer, doesn't mean that the solution to your issues is a longer stem on your new one, as the bikes may have different top tube lengths. Why don't you try flipping the stem on your Boardman first. It could save you the cost of buying a new one.