Cannondale BB30

Mark_1987
Mark_1987 Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hello Wonderful people

This is my first post so go easy , and I'm an absoloute amateur

I had a fight with an escalator and my bike a 2014 Synapse ( don't take bikes on escalators kids ) which has resulted in some hefty damage. There has been further insult to injury in that the crank ( I think , the arm the pedal and chain rings are attached to ?? ) has bent / twisted.

Now upon being given a quote for new ones at £160 I set about finding alternatives second hand . I've found an FSA Gossamer Chain Set for a good price, I just want to check this will be OK fitting to mine , I've been told its an upgrade . It is for the same speed bike and teeth also.

Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Hello Wonderful people

This is my first post so go easy , and I'm an absoloute amateur

Any bb30 crankset (i.e one with a 30mm axle spindle) will fit your bottom bracket.
    The FSA Gossamer BB 30 is such a crank, Just make sure you have all the spacers and the wave washers to fit it properly.

I had a fight with an escalator and my bike a 2014 Synapse ( don't take bikes on escalators kids ) which has resulted in some hefty damage. There has been further insult to injury in that the crank ( I think , the arm the pedal and chain rings are attached to ?? ) has bent / twisted.

Now upon being given a quote for new ones at £160 I set about finding alternatives second hand . I've found an FSA Gossamer Chain Set for a good price, I just want to check this will be OK fitting to mine , I've been told its an upgrade . It is for the same speed bike and teeth also.

Many thanks for any advice

Any bb30 crankset (i.e one with a 30mm axle spindle) will fit your bottom bracket.
    The FSA Gossamer BB 30 is such a crank, Just make sure you have all the spacers and the wave washers to fit it properly.

I don't want to confuse the issue, But I doubt very much that you have bent a crank arm. These are just about the strongest bit of the bike as they take all your torque power in driving the bike forward.

Assuming you are on about the none drive side crank arm ( and you have not just bent/ damaged the chainrings on the Drive side ( which is more probable). Have you tried the following.

Removed the crank arm using an M10 allen key and checked the splines. ( the bits that attatch it to the end of the crank axle) aren't damaged. Have you tried just torqueing up ( tightening) the crankset bolts and the chainring bolts.

If however you have bent a crank. I ve got a FSA gossamer BB30 Chainset, Brand new un used Compact 50/34 with (n10/11 speed rings) in 172.5mm which you can have for the cost of postage.

It came of my Brand new Evo six when I changed it to Shimano Groupset.

Once again though I doubt you ve bent a crank. Get your LBS to check it.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I would be more than happy to be proved wrong as I'm certainly no bike mechanic but I have got a Synapse - in my case, the 2015 Carbon Ultegra which also has a FSA crank set. You should probably check your particular Synapse model carefully as I believe Cannondale were using the BB30A standard on at least some Synapse variants in 2014 (but I don't know whether there is a distinction between the Ally and Carbon models). As I understand it, BB30A is slightly wider than BB30 and will therefore require adapters to make an 'ordinary' BB30 crank set fit. See:
    http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/articles/200994378-BB30-BB30A
    and
    http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/articles/202383819-Adapter-Kits-For-BB30-BB30A-And-PressFit-30

As indicated above, I'm no expert and might be wrong (in which case, apologies) but you might be better checking than making a mistake!

Having said all that, it must have had one hell of a whack to bend that particular component.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bending a crank arm is pretty heavy duty stuff.. is it more likely you have just damaged the spider and or chainrings?
    ANyways a replacement bb30 crankset can be had for less than a 100 quid if you can haggle on Ebay... as I did for a NOS 2010 FSA carbon 10 speed crankset that is so well out of date it is almost dangerous...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I would be more than happy to be proved wrong as I'm certainly no bike mechanic but I have got a Synapse - in my case, the 2015 Carbon Ultegra which also has a FSA crank set. You should probably check your particular Synapse model carefully as I believe Cannondale were using the BB30A standard on at least some Synapse variants in 2014 (but I don't know whether there is a distinction between the Ally and Carbon models). As I understand it, BB30A is slightly wider than BB30 and will therefore require adapters to make an 'ordinary' BB30 crank set fit. See:
    http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/articles/200994378-BB30-BB30A
    and
    http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/articles/202383819-Adapter-Kits-For-BB30-BB30A-And-PressFit-30

As indicated above, I'm no expert and might be wrong (in which case, apologies) but you might be better checking than making a mistake!

Having said all that, it must have had one hell of a whack to bend that particular component.

Yer sorry he's right there is a BB30a standard knocking about which requires a longer crank axle. Don't think you can just use spacers to take the standard BB30 as there is a 5mm difference. I believe there is some kind of Ring on SRAM BB30 cranksets which is pressed on to the spider but can be removed by hand which gives you the extra 5mm space required when removed. Best getting the right chainset.