Dropped bike on shifter - best way to straighten?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited September 2015 in Workshop
No prizes for guessing what hit the ground when I stupidly allowed the bike to fall over...

BikeBars20150912_162948_zpsykmhjhgd.jpg~original

Do I have to undo the bar tape, loosen the shifter (presumably theres a screw of some kind that holds it tight to the bar?), reposition, retighten and then retape?

Or is there a quicker way? I've tried gingerly pulling it but it doesn't move, and I don't want to exert large forces.

Is the shifter likely to have actually bent under there?

Is the bar likely to be damaged? The brake and shifting seem to be fine.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,172
    it's just slipped round

if you don't want to force it back then you'll need to access the fixing bolt, if you peel back the hood on the upper rear of the shifter you'll see it

alloy bars? probably fine, from the photo i'm assuming all alloy including stem and steerer
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • it's just slipped round

if you don't want to force it back then you'll need to access the fixing bolt, if you peel back the hood on the upper rear of the shifter you'll see it

alloy bars? probably fine, from the photo i'm assuming all alloy including stem and steerer
    Yes, all alloy bars/stem/steerer. Carbon frame and fork, but the rest is metal.

Cheers :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Take a look at http://si.shimano.com/ and follow the links for your groupset for some detailed schematics which will show you where the relevant fixing bolt is.
  • I had the exact same thing happen to me!

All I had to do was peel the hood back, loosen the adjustment screw and then move the shifter back. Only problem was that I became OCD with getting the shifter perfectly straight!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They Tiagra? Access the fixing bolt by peeling back the hood from the front / outside of the shifter. 5mm hex IIRC. Just undo it enough to reposition the shifter. Don't overtighten it; they are meant to do what yours did in the event of a spill. If it's locked in place the shifter would break instead.
  • Is it my imagination, but your front wheel does not look as though it is at right angles to the handle bars.
    Easy enough to adjust by slackening off the two Allen bolts on the stem, reposition and retighten
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it my imagination, but your front wheel does not look as though it is at right angles to the handle bars.
    Easy enough to adjust by slackening off the two Allen bolts on the stem, reposition and retighten

Looks that way to me too...