Wrecked tyre.......again

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all.

So, had a little OTB action this afternoon which has resulted in YET ANOTHER stretched maxxis HR2 (tr 3c). It seems that every time I have a decent crash and the tyre burps it's then almost unusable. (I've already tried resetting the bead several times and it wobbles in the same place)

Can anyone recommend a front tyre that can take some punishment and and not stretch at the first sign of trouble.

Requirements; 29", tubeless, biggish volume, cut resistant, not fussed about weight (I can do with the exercise)

Thanks guys, and remember......always wear a helmet. Saved me a trip to the hospital today :)

CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• Running a Conti rubber queen folding BC on the front of the Parkwood - grip is really good - the 2.2 is very big for its size and would supposedly go tubeless although i haven't tried it.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Unusual for those. I run Minions with sealed up slices through them and they must some how seem to keep going. Can't recommend them enough of you like the general feel of Maxxis tyres.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Unusual for those. I run Minions with sealed up slices through them and they must some how seem to keep going. Can't recommend them enough of you like the general feel of Maxxis tyres.

I do like HR2's. They're a little vague when not leant right over, which wouldn't be a problem for minions I'm guessing.

I like the idea of DH casing although it only comes in 2.5
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er

I do like HR2's. They're a little vague when not leant right over, which wouldn't be a problem for minions I'm guessing.

I like the idea of DH casing although it only comes in 2.5

With the weight penalty I wouldn't want to run DH casings on anything other than uplift days. The new Tomahawk is meant to be a good HR2 alternative and a bit faster rolling and the SS Minion should be interesting to try when released.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • what wheel and pressure?

Hope tech enduros (23mm int dia) at about 30psi ish which is higher than usual as I'm still feeling out the new wheels and my newly found confidence. The tyre burped because I crashed rather than the other way around (the previous one did though)
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • You sure your tyres are properly seated? I know someone with the same set up who gets top fives in UKGE races without problems. Something is definitely not right, the tyres are definitely up to the job, the rims are super tough as well.
  • You sure your tyres are properly seated? I know someone with the same set up who gets top fives in UKGE races without problems. Something is definitely not right, the tyres are definitely up to the job, the rims are super tough as well.

Think so. I endoed off a small double with the wheel at ~45degrees which I think is acceptable for it to come off the rim given the forces involved (I'm about 90kg) but I don't think that it should be destroying the tyre in the process. It does the same in smaller crashes where tyre doesn't burp at all also, just not on the same scale.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • A crash like that will wreck most tyres unless you get super heavy dual ply DH tyres.
  • A crash like that will wreck most tyres unless you get super heavy dual ply DH tyres.

Just par for the course then? If that's the case i need to get some over time in then.

What are people's thoughts on schwable's super gravity carcass? Always put schwable to one side after tales of quick wear but if I'm getting less than a year anyway might give them a try.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Super gravity Schwalbe tyres weigh a ton. I have them on my DH bike at the moment, proper tractor tyres.
    Are you landing a lot of jumps sideways or just ploughing through big roots? It's not a common problem for most people, even for fast enduro racers it's a rare occurrence.
  • TBH I've just started to get 'air' with both wheels in the last few weeks (after 5 solid days of sessioning the same section) and I just happened to hit one less square than I would like and got out of shape. It is was on a root that the last one was destroyed on, ran wide and it snatched the tyre of the rim completely. It wasn't far from parallel with the trail either.

I think I am quite aggressive with the front wheel, hard cornering in loose/wet conditions is the one thing I'm quite good at.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • There's your problem. Need to refine your technique rather than get big heavy tyres. I regularly jump 30 foot gaps on light, folding bead xc tyres with no problems.
    Cornering can be tough on tyres if aggressive without the correct techniques as well.
  • There's your problem. Need to refine your technique rather than get big heavy tyres. I regularly jump 30 foot gaps on light, folding bead xc tyres with no problems.
    Cornering can be tough on tyres if aggressive without the correct techniques as well.

Hmm. I see your point. Trouble is, I love going fast and 'shredding' corners. If that's the case I might try some cheaper tyres until I sort my technique out. Spesh butcher grids?
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • There's a difference between riding quickly/aggressively and riding well. You may find a day coaching will make you even faster and stop you wrecking tyres. I suspect there may be some suspect technique involved here.
    Racers very rarely wreck tyres but probably ride a fair bit quicker than you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I love going fast and 'shredding' corners.
    It's not corners you are shredding but tyres!

It does sound like technique as RMSC says.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.