giant tcx slr 2 versus merida cx 500

lyndont
lyndont Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Cyclocross
I've seen a lot of people asking about Giant TCX SLR2's but sadly I can't find much feedback from people who have gone on to buy them except a broken frame. I would be interested to hear from those who have considered the Giant tcx slr 2 and the merida cx 500, which you decided on and how you are getting on with them.
They do seem fairly evenly matched but you can't beat real life experience. Thanks

Comments

• I was in the same situation including a Cannondale caadx. I ended up with the Giant. Maybe a bit biased as I have a TCR. I really like the bike, shifting is very good, brakes seem ok. I have put some slicks on for commuting and will get some mudguards. Been for a few blasts with knobblies and was pleasently suprised, great fun. Seems a real versitile bike. Wheels are heavy and you'll want to change the saddle and bartape. I ended up with a smaller framesize though so do try before you buy if possible.
  • I looked at it and a few others before deciding on the CX500. Spec was very similar, but overall I preferred the fit of the merida, the overall design of the frame and thought it had a better fork...internal cable routing in the leg and a bolt through axle. Oh, plus the fact that there are more reviews of the merida also helped, plus i got a slightly better deal.

so far I've raced the merida in one pre season and used it for commuting. Fit is spot on...bars maybe slighly too high but comfy enough for the commute. Saddle is lovely, one of the comfiest I've had, up there with the charge spoon for me.

annoyance, the cables are internally routed on the down tube in a way that causes them to hit your knees occaisionally.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500