Putting a Battery in the stem

perfectmark
perfectmark Posts: 117
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Looking to start using my iPhone as a bike computer, but to do that I will need an extra battery to keep it charged. I know I can just get something like this http://tinyurl.com/oe4elaq and stick it under the stem, but it would look a lot cleaner if I could stick a battery inside the stem and then have one cable coming out of it to my phone.

So was wondering if anyone can see any problems getting a 2nd hand stem off eBay and then drilling a hole in it to run a USB cable through? (I would of course have to seal the hole where the cable comes out) Or if there is someone out there that already offers such a product, or maybe a better way of doing this?

Comments

• The stem has a support function... I am not sure drilling a hole in it is a good idea.
    left the forum March 2023
  • OP this is a joke right? If not have a look at a stem and think about what it does and the loads it carries, don't drill a hole in one under any circumstances.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Seemed to work with this design :shock:

220px-Threadless_stem_with_hole_for_front_brake_cable.JPG
  • Or get a decent bike computer and leave your phone in your back pocket? Or get a cheap bike computer like a cateye and leave your phone in your back pocket?

I have an iPhone mount and use it from time to time but it's not practical!
  • Seemed to work with this design :shock:

220px-Threadless_stem_with_hole_for_front_brake_cable.JPG

OP wasn't talking about buying a stem with a hole in (i.e. One that was designed and engineered to function with a hole) they were asking about drilling a hole in one that has no hole (i.e. One that was designed and engineered to function without a hole). .

I have no doubt a stem with a hole can be designed but, the point is, there is a BIG difference, in the structural integrity if you drill a hole in some thing which was never meant to be there.