Freehub woes

Nuuk
Nuuk Posts: 20
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I was recently cycling home when the freehub seized. Getting it off the rear wheel wasn't a problem, but finding a replacement has stumped me. I found one online that looked the same (made by Raleigh), bought it, but when I went to fit it, found that it was for bolts with a RH thread, and mine has a LH thread.

The wheel is made by Sunrace, and I have written to them in Holland and Taiwan, but not received a reply. I've Googled for a couple of weeks with no success.

Does anybody know where I may find a replacement freehub as the wheel is only a few years old, and in perfectly good condition. It is the type where the allen bolt is contained in the wheel hub. It would be a real waste to throw away a good wheel.

sunrace-hub3_zpsxi47sn7z.jpg

sunrace-hub2_zpsxcwyeqvy.jpg

Comments

• Looks like a cheap Formula freehub. Take it to a good bike shop and get them to order you the correct replacement. You will get cheaper on line but much easier to pay a few quid extra and get the right one.
  • Nuuk
    Thanks. I have been to two local bike shops (including the one where I bought the wheel), and phoned another. All without success.

Your suggestion of Formula led me to another brand called Joytech, so I will contact the vendors and ask them which thread is used on the one that they are selling.
  • Nuuk
    I just spoke with James Cycles, and the guy there says that as far as he knows, all the freebubs come with a RH thread, so it looks like I'm stuffed, and looking at a new wheel. So much for standardization. :|
  • There's no such thing as a standard freehub
  • Nuuk
    I know that, and that's not what I meant. You would at least expect it to be standard whether the attachment of a freehub used a LH or RH thread though.
  • To be honest there are good arguments for both. A LH thread won't come loose but a RH thread won't self tighten
    Plus manufacturers want you to buy their spares.
  • Nuuk
    Plus manufacturers want you to buy their spares.

Apparently not so in this case. I can't do any more than write and ask them.
  • Get yourself to Decathlon. £8.99 from there. They should be able to help with the bolt too, failing that, try a local DIY/Engineering firm as they may be able to help with a replacement bolt.

I've just bought one from there for a customers Rockrider.
  • Nuuk
    Get yourself to Decathlon. £8.99 from there. They should be able to help with the bolt too, failing that, try a local DIY/Engineering firm as they may be able to help with a replacement bolt.

I've just bought one from there for a customers Rockrider.

Thanks Matt. I will try Decathlon. I actually placed an order for a new wheel yesterday, but if I can get the old one up and running, it will be useful to have a spare!
  • Nuuk
    Matt, how do you know that is the right freehub for my Sunrace wheel?
  • I going off the pictures you've posted, its identical to what I've just bought from Decathlon.

My research showed that they are a formula freehub, they also came on some Specialized bikes. I also tracked them down to a company in Nottingham on Ebay but can't remember their name.