Good value rear shock 165mm - help needed!

kieranlm
kieranlm Posts: 14
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys!

I just bought a 2004 Marin east-peak for £190 from a gentleman I knew. I am intending to use the bike 2/3 times a week for a fairly hard-going ride on forest trails.

After about 3 or 4 rides I realised the rear shock was completely shot and was leaking oil. So, in short, I need to replace the unit for something which is a)165mm length b) a decent unit which will last and perform well c) good value! as I only paid £190 for the bike and it really doesn't make much sense to spend more than say £100-£140 on the part.

I have searched far and wide and find the market for parts in my price range is extremely small. Ebay offers me a brand new rear shock for £49.99 (Kind Shock RE A5 featherweight) but I cannot find one single review and don't trust the quality. The next options are the SR Suntour RS12 epicon £103 on a cycling site (not reviewed entirely well) and a DT Swiss xm 180 which £140 new on ebay.

I would much appreciate some sound advice on the matter, which brands should I be looking for? Do you recommend any of my findings at those prices? and has anyone used either the Kind Shock RE A5 or a 'DNM' branded rear shock?

Thankyou so much!

Kieran

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a used Fox Float, by far the best option and most fiscal sense on a bike that age, that or pay circa £100 to get your current shock serviced.

165mm Eye to eye, but what stroke length?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As above, look for a used Fox float, ideally an RP2 or RP3