Fatbike Novice

bikenovice2102
bikenovice2102 Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in MTB beginners
Hey I have recently started dabbling in fatbikes and I came across this video of the Xterrain on Youtube: youtube.com/watch?v=DoAtBkPoDKY

The performance of the bike looks good to me but I am new to this so I just wanna find out what are your thoughts on the design?

Comments

• The performance of the bike looks good to me but I am new to this so I just wanna find out what are your thoughts on the design?

It looks like a tin of Spam!
  • I wouldn't touch that with a sh1tty stick.
    That square profile front tyre is going to be awful on anything but sand plus it's not a normal fat bike size so you won't be able to change it for something better. Them forks are non standard so you are unlikely to be able to service them when the manufacturer inevitably goes bust.
    But mainly, E-bikes are for lazy fatty virgins with no friends.
  • Wot he said!

Why?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Have you actually ridden a fatbike? If you had, you'd probably find that front tyre would be unrideable on a lot of singletrack simply due to it's width - might be fine for beach riding but nowt else. Likewise, when it gets wet and gloopy the tyre would simply get bogged-down. Electric bikes are OK as mobility aids, but that's a different debate.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not sure MD has ever ridden a fatbike, I've borrowed one and ridden with people on them, they cope with UK singletrack just fine and in muddy conditions they are great as they float over it just like they do on sand and snow (funny that really.....), much less bogging down than on a conventional bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm not sure MD has ever ridden a fatbike, I've borrowed one and ridden with people on them, they cope with UK singletrack just fine and in muddy conditions they are great as they float over it just like they do on sand and snow (funny that really.....), much less bogging down than on a conventional bike.

True enough - but the one in the video isn't really a fat bike as its got a silly little wheel up front.

I'd rather get a proper fatty with two big wheels and no suspension than a suspended tiny wheel up front - a proper sized fat tyre will give better roll over and float than that dodgy little wheel.

And obviously if you have an electric motor you better have a blue parking thing in the window of your car too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm not sure MD has ever ridden a fatbike, I've borrowed one and ridden with people on them, they cope with UK singletrack just fine and in muddy conditions they are great as they float over it just like they do on sand and snow (funny that really.....), much less bogging down than on a conventional bike.

NVAd702l.jpg

....2,000 miles since January, on snow, sand, ridden all the black-runs at GT and Inners, across peat moors and large chunks of the Southern Uplands Way, the Southdowns Way in 10hr20mins and finished top-10 in races against regular mountain bikes. Longest ride this year was 200 miles in 21 hours - maybe a little bit further and quicker across a wider range of conditions than you've ridden?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rookie
    Thus contradicting what you said about fat bikes earlier........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Crossed wires I think lads. MD's post was specific to the ridiculous front tire on the bike in the video. Which WOULD be about as much use as a chocolate teapot on real trails.

A properly designed fat bike like he actually rides is a great idea and perfectly functional.
  • I think this may have been spam. The OP never returned.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And someone was posting the same stuff previously under a different name. Banned I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Crossed wires I think lads. MD's post was specific to the ridiculous front tire on the bike in the video.
    Argh yes, get that now!

Not all bad though..
    XTERRAIN-Bike-01-990x762.jpg
  • AndyEd
    AndyEd Posts: 171
    Well that spam turned into a can of whupass. I'm leaving this up as a warning to others.
    BikeRadar Community
This discussion has been closed.