New chain overshifting past big ring

nezza
nezza Posts: 14
edited September 2015 in Workshop
I fitted a new PC1091 SRAM chain to my Rival group set yesterday, and took it out for a spin. The old chain had only just started to show that a replacement was needed judging by my chain checker.

The chain/cassette combo is working well so I don't think the cassette is worn too much. However, I had an annoying number of overshifts when moving onto the big ring. In every case the from mech was able to get the chain back onto the ring without me having to stop but is this just an adjustment thing for the from mech or should I check the big ring for wear? If so how do I do that?

I very rarely had problems swapping rings with the old chain.

Comments

• rival 10 speed? it may not bee much help but when I ran this groupset the front shifts were terrible, the rest of the groupset was brilliant but the front derailleur cage was so wide it was 50/50 weather it would change up at all or push the chain right off - I upgraded to 105 5800 and haven't had a single dropped chain since

some bloke suggested to me when I was on sram that I upgraded just the front derailleur to an 11 speed yaw version, it would still work with 10 speed apparently, maybe this is something to look into?
  • nezza
    Yes Rival 10 speed.

I had been looking at the yaw mech anyway- either the Red 10 speed or one of the new 11 speed ones. I'll give it a go.

Thanks!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The mech H stop screw needs adjusting to stop it pushing the chain too far - it's nothing to do with the width of the cage / mech simply down to how it's installed. Plenty of how-to videos online.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • +1 sounds like a limit adjustment issue
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    ....Or a cable tension issue as well. SRAM front mechs need pretty high tension - to check it watch the mech while you push the lever all the way across and hold it there, then release it and see if the mech moves back inwards. If it does the cable tension needs to be increased, as it's dropping the chain because the limit screw is set too far out. You wouldn't notice though, because the mech doesn't move any further out when you adjust it if the cable tension isn't high enough,
  • nezza
    Great thanks - I will try to adjust the mech first before shelling out any hard-earned...