Braided gear cable - Thomson Elite Dropper post

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
I have a Thomson Elite Dropper post on my MTB. It is activated via a gear cable. The one supplied is braided but that has long since been retired.

I replaced it with a high quality stainless cable (not braided) but that didn't last all that long, it frays where it is pinched by a bolt in the lever. IMO it is not a great design.

I've tried a few things to try and beef it up, dipping the end of the cable in super glue, putting some extra grease on the end to try and reduce friction etc. But getting a bit fed up with my dropper stopping working once a month or so.

Anyone own a Thomson and have a solution? Anyone know where I can get braided gear cables or can suggest some ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Power cordz, not twisted wire at all, so no chance of fraying, not cheap though.

I'm guessing the seatpost doesn't have a cable groove like you would find on a dérailleur at the clamp, so you could use a suitable drill to make one if you were feeling brave.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.