Bike fell over!

Higgo C
Higgo C Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Am gutted, two week old bike fell over when a gust of wind blew it over after being lent against a metal post.

The derailleur hanger is bent and maybe the rear mech but there is also a noise now from the rear wheel when pedalling or free wheeling, it is like a grinding noise, only when sat on the bike not when it is pushed. Think its from the hub area, anyone have any idea what would be wrong and if it is fixable.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Am gutted, two week old bike fell over when a gust of wind blew it over after being lent against a metal post.

The derailleur hanger is bent and maybe the rear mech but there is also a noise now from the rear wheel when pedalling or free wheeling, it is like a grinding noise, only when sat on the bike not when it is pushed. Think its from the hub area, anyone have any idea what would be wrong and if it is fixable.

Cheers

Chris

Have you checked it's not just pushed the brake calliper over a bit so one of the pads is rubbing?
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Yes, checked that thanks.

Just took the tyre, inner tube and rim tape off and a load of metal fillings fell out of the holes for the spoke nipples, now the noise has gone. Think they may have been left there from when the wheels were made maybe.

Think I just need a new derailleur hanger as tried to bend it and it looks straight but the gears aren't happy
  • When you get the hanger, it might be worth a trip to the LBS to get them to check it with their hanger alignment tool.
  • This^^^. Just eyeballing the alignment isn't good enough and you may still need to re-adjust the mech once the hanger is straight. Try correcting the old hanger first before buying a new one.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's always a good idea to have a spare hanger for just this sort of eventuality IMO...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I did the same with my newly built up CR1; only a few rides old. Caught it when I was pushing the wheelie bin through the garage. First I knew was when there was a crash from behind me. Typically I'd parked it so it fell expensive side down. Scratched the mech and properly bent the hanger. Didn't even try to straighten it; just ordered a new one from Westbrooks who'd supplied the frameset. Luckily I have a second bike I could be riding while I waited for the part. The bent one's in the tool box as an emergency spare; hoping not to need it.

I've now invested in a hanger alignment tool for future tweaking. And I always park the bike so if it falls it will be drive-side up.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This^^^. Just eyeballing the alignment isn't good enough and you may still need to re-adjust the mech once the hanger is straight. Try correcting the old hanger first before buying a new one.

But not this (in bold). Aluminium is a material does not like getting bent as it creates a number of invisible microfractures that can lead to failure. Bending it once is bad enough, bending it twice is risking things. A new hanger costs ~£20, so buy 2 while you are at and store one for when you are touring in case you have any issues. The average bike shop will be able to sort out most issues with the exception of a replacement hanger as they are very much model specific and a shop will not carry spare stock in all models just in case someone wants one.
  • This is a hanger not a highly stressed structural piece. Alu can survive a small bend or two without fracturing but if you're unsure than yes, get a new one. New hangers need to be checked for alignment as well because they don't always fit exactly like the old one due to mfr. tolerances. Most will bolt up fine but I have come across several that had a slightly sloppy fitting and were out of true a bit.
  • Have now bent the hanger back in place after two goes, all the gears are now indexed fine. Will test ride tomorrow, but all seems fine.

Will definitely park the bike in future so it lands on the non drive side, will also get a spare hanger. The hanger has probably weakened due to the fall and bending but will leave on for now :D
  • I crashed about a month ago checked self and bike over and all looked fine ... About a mile later on a 7% incline hanger snapped and mech got dragged into rear wheel. Damaged wheel, mech, hanger and new cable = expensive.

Only logical conclusion seems to be hanger was damaged in the crash and I didn't notice - or - just bad luck and fluke timing. Either way I wouldn't ride with a straightened damaged hanger - too expensive if you meet my fate!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Hanger alignment is just bending it. I agree that if it has been bent too far then bending it back is not a good idea - you may even be able to see creases in the material. But a small amount of bending is fine and it is designed to do that, its not a load bearing piece.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I crashed about a month ago checked self and bike over and all looked fine ... About a mile later on a 7% incline hanger snapped and mech got dragged into rear wheel. Damaged wheel, mech, hanger and new cable = expensive.

Only logical conclusion seems to be hanger was damaged in the crash and I didn't notice - or - just bad luck and fluke timing. Either way I wouldn't ride with a straightened damaged hanger - too expensive if you meet my fate!

I think you conclude correctly. I did the same; dropped the bike at the end of the drive, drive-side down of course. Panicking that wife had seen me and would insist on first aid / immediate cancellation of ride, I leapt on the bike and shot down the hill. Only 10 miles later at the first proper climb did I hear the delicate sound of the rear mech strumming the spokes :shock: After 45 years as a cyclist I immediately realised what it was and why. I'd effectively lost the lowest 3 gears. Had I tried to select them I'd have ripped the mech off and /or the spokes out. I limped home using the remaining gears and a lot of grunting.

Which reminds me, that was 2 years ago and I fixed it by straightening it by eye. Now I have the proper tool I really should check it properly. And buy a replacement before they become hard to find (which usually = expensive)