650b+ or 29er New Bike

New Boy2
New Boy2 Posts: 16
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I apologise upfront for length, but bear with me. I have a lust for a new bike. I want something that is a do-it-all, go anywhere type machine. I don’t need to race or jump or go downhill blisteringly fast , but I do want something that is fun, capable and comfortable on mixed conditions and climates. My current runs go from smooth hardpack, through woods, on gravely conditions, to rough farm tracks. I also want to start doing a few trail centres.

I have an old Trek XC bike which is fast and light given its age, but is a bit (make that very) crashy over rough stuff even when I swapped out to larger volume tyres. I toyed with the idea of a fat bike, but I have heard they are hard work. At nearly 40 and having limited skills I would like something that will work with me and I can continue to improve on. My original plan was shortlisting from a Bird Zero, Whyte 729/901, On-One 650b X9, Charge Cooker, One-One Parkwood or a Canyon SL and keep my Trek turning it back into a fast rolling machine that I use for summer family outings, dropping kids off at school, type bike. And then I have a more trail/fun orientated machine for myself.

However, I seemed to have arrived at a point in time when there are so many options on wheel sizes and types of bikes it becomes bewildering and don’t know which way to go. I am now seeing a number of 650b+ semi fat bikes being marketed. And yes I know that the manufacturers want to sell the latest craze in bikes, but this size seems to fit my requirements reasonably well. It even gives me the option to buy a 29er wheelset on a later date. There is also an option of just getting a 29er trail bike with large volume tyres or indeed to switch in 650b+ wheels later subject to the frame being able to take the wheelset. I therefore have just 1 bike and potentially 2 wheelsets and it also stops the wife moaning as to why I have 2 bikes in the garage! I love the look of the new Cooker range (the 2 looks particularly good , but I am certain more options will be arriving soon.

So, given what I have said what would you do in my position?

1. Buy 650b+ when they start getting discounted next year (I never buy non-discounted). With the potential to buy 29er wheelset later.
2. Buy discounted 29er and then buy some larger volume tyres and then if I am still not happy buy a 650b+ wheelset. How do I check that a 29er bike/frame will take 650b+ wheelset.
3. Something else altogether. (My original plan for example)

My starting budget is around £1k I don’t mind spending some more to get something a lot better and indeed less and then putting the money toward a better wheelset/components at a later date. At 1kish a full suspension may be out, which I have no problem with. Also, I would like to stay UK based maker or non mainstream if possible unless there are some particular bargains of course!

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Comments

• I wouldn't buy 650b+ yet, tyre choice is very limited (and expensive) and not all shops stock tubes yet. Spares like rims and hubs aren't common yet either.
    Personally I would go for either a normal 650b or 29er, they're lighter and big volume tyres are generally pretty hard work when the weather turns British.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with RMSC there, plus it doesn't sound like your riding needs a 650B+ anyway.....

Get a decent 29er or 650B that will take sensibly large rubber (2.2-2.3), from your list the Zero or Parkwood would be my first looks (the 456 is a pretty rigid and harsh frame), plus have a look at the Decathlon Big8 29er, excellent value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.