Larger Tyres (700 x 28 upwards) for road use?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Just switched my aging 700 x 25c Michelin Pro4 SC tyres for some 28c Pro4 Endurance on my Equilibrium Disc (Archetype/Hope Pro2 Evo wheelset)

Only done a couple of rides but have been hugely impressed by the difference in comfort with no obvious penalties in rolling resistance. Running 80psi front and 90psi rear (rider weight ~90kg but planning to bring that down to around 85kg or less)

Taking delivery next week of a new Planet X London Road which has clearance to take up to 38c tyres.

Will be switching my Archetypes over to the Planet X in due course and I was wondering whether there would be any additional benefit in looking at larger tyre sizes eg 32c or above. Only planning tarmac mileage so not really interested in CX specific tyres. Also my riding is purely fitness based about 50-100miles per week - no commuting.

Any thoughts about the benefits or otherwise of going larger than 28c for road use?

Also as a corollary - any recommendations for slicks (folding preferrably) in the size range 32c and above - if they exist?

Comments