Tyre Advice - Sizes and options

bdigital
bdigital Posts: 193
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Ive been trying to choose some new tyres for trail riding but I'm getting lost with all the options! The reason I'm looking is a) I don't have much confidence in the front when cornering (could be lack of rider skill also) and b) from what I can tell my current set up might not be suited as the winter months come in.

Heres some info to inform any advice:-

- Mainly ride in Surrey Hills, but would like to be ok at Trail Centers (going to BPW in Sept)
- Bike is a 2015 Bronson 650b
- Currently have Conti X King 2.2 on the front. Conti Mountain King 2.2 on the rear.
- Would like some more confidence in the front when cornering

Im currently considering Maxis HRII EXO rear (not sure if 2.2 or 2.4) and a Schwalbe Hans Dampf EVO Snake Skin 2.25 or 2.35 for the front

Questions!!!

1) Does this particular combo sound ok?
2) What sizes would be best? From what I've read, I'm leaning towards going 2.35 on the front and 2.2 on the rear.

Any advice would be much appreciated

thank you

Comments

• Schwalbe tyres fall to pieces quickly, the side nobbles tear off. Snakeskin sidewalls are a bit too soft and flexy as well. I wouldn't buy another set. Highrollers are good but I prefer Specialized Purgatory Grid.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Maybe try just swapping round the tyres you have at the minute first?

It is normal to have a grippier tyre at the front, and a faster-rolling tyre at the back. Currently you have a fast (X-King) tyre on the front and a grippy (Mountain King) tyre at the back...

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of people have no problem with Svchwalbe tyres....I know lots of Schwalbe HD lovers and would no hesitation in suggesting a pair, maybe 2.2 front and 2.1 rear.

As pointed out you have the tyre you should have on the front on the rear and vice versa, also the stock wire beaded Conti tyres sold as OE on many bikes are horrible plasticy affairs that really don't offer much grip at all, especially if the surface is at all moist (like if the rider sneezes!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    maxxis HR2 2.4 3C exo for the front and a 2.4 WTB trail boss for the rear in tough high grip rubber form or a maxxis HR2 2.4 60a exo for the rear
  • Maybe try just swapping round the tyres you have at the minute first?

It is normal to have a grippier tyre at the front, and a faster-rolling tyre at the back. Currently you have a fast (X-King) tyre on the front and a grippy (Mountain King) tyre at the back...

bob6397

Thanks Bob. Ive just souble checked and they are already set up with x-king at the back and mountain king at the front. My apologies i will update the original post! Thanks for pointing out.
    POAH wrote:
    maxxis HR2 2.4 3C exo for the front and a 2.4 WTB trail boss for the rear in tough high grip rubber form or a maxxis HR2 2.4 60a exo for the rear

Should i be looking at 2.4 for the rear? Rather than 2.2? Just dont want the setup to be overkill (coming from 2x 2.2 tyres). Ive not read about the WTB trail boss il have a look.

Someone suggested HRII front and back but i cant seem to quote in my reply. I had originally considered this but was put off by people saying there was a deadzone before side grip kicks in on the front.

Seeing as im a beginner rider trying to improve my cornering and i want to introduce aome lean i thought they might be best avoided?
  • poah
    the original HR was ment to have this but TBH I doubt you'd notice. The 2.4 HR2 comes up at 59mm wide on my 25mm interal rims and my bro in laws 30mm internal. I used to have the 2.2 mountain king mk2 on the back but they were just too small.
  • the original HR was ment to have this but TBH I doubt you'd notice. The 2.4 HR2 comes up at 59mm wide on my 25mm interal rims and my bro in laws 30mm internal. I used to have the 2.2 mountain king mk2 on the back but they were just too small.

Ok cool thank you. So if I'm going for HR II front and back (unless I get some other suggestions or experiences) then what type?! There seem to be DH, EXO, TR etc

Ive been looking at these on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-high-roller-ii-exo-tyre/rp-prod77864

They are EXO, which I don't know if its right. And even then there are 3 types of EXO... 3C MaxTerra, MaxPro 60a, MaxPro 60a Single Ply

And help understanding which of these would be best suited?!
  • poah
    you want the 3c exo for the front and 60a for the rear
  • 60a is like plastic. I like 43a highrollers front and back. Wear isn't great but the grip is immense.
  • you want the 3c exo for the front and 60a for the rear

Thank you. Is that the MaxPro 60a, or the MaxPro 60a Single Ply? Im guessing not the single ply?! But worth checking

Im also wondering if going 2.4 at the back is OTT? I can't see any other on CRC at the moment but perhaps a slightly smaller tyre at the back will reduce the obvious gain in drag I'm going to see after switching from the Conti's
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Single ply unless you need DH levels of protection, double ply gives a more robust sidewall but weighs a fair bit more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.