Specialized Venge Expert 2016

valleyram
valleyram Posts: 9
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Recently had a bit of an accident where the wife drove over my Cube Agree Di2 whilst reversing into the garage. Totally screwed the rear mech, and cracked the frame to boot!! The 10 speed Ultegra is now history and has been replaced with 11 speed, so getting your hands on replacement parts is nigh on impossible.

LBS wrote off the bike (much to my dismay) but luckily my house insurance covered accidental damage. After much debate, finally had approval and full pay out via Wheelies :lol: (would prefer to use LBS, but cash settlement would be 22% less!!)

Am awaiting call back from Wheelies to confirm replacement bike and am almost certainly going to order the 2016 Venge Expert (the orange one) which I might add looks a damn fine machine. Not going to risk Di2 again (even though I've banned the wife from parking in the garage :lol: ), mechanical Ultegra is more than adequate.

It's got a good spec and looks the business, has anyone any first hand knowledge of this bike? Any positives or negatives greatly appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Not direct experience but I am glad you understand that the bike is Orange. A friend of mine has one and insists that it is Rocket Red.
  • I have that bike, although I use it with a different wheel set. I love it; it's more responsive to rider inputs on the pedals and winds up quicker than my other bikes. It seems to maintain speeds over 20mph easier as well. Very fast, very clinical, I love riding it. I always find myself riding it quickly, as it seems to egg me on; placebo or not, it encourages me to go quickly! I don't use it if I'm out for a pootle, but I always use it if it's a ride where I want to go for it.

Mine is a 2015 (I believe the bike is carry over with no changes at all to the 2016 model) and I've had no issues. I use Reynolds Assault wheels, but with the original tyres as I like them.

Obviously the colour is a personal choice, but orange is my favourite colour so it's a no brainer for me... I loved it from the first time I saw it! The rocket red frames are a deep red, not even slightly orange!

I'm sure you'd love it if you bought it!
  • 8I think that over SL5 ,this old Venge is quite useless bike.Buying a new bike,which is on the market for a 5 years isn't worth the price.As you have to buy a new bike SL5 would be my choice (If I have to choose between Specialized).

And why not Venge,well you can find very good used offers if you want Venge (But today you have much more advanced aero machine,if you want aero look) - my 2 cents of course
  • Thanks for the info.....went ahead and bought the Venge. It was delivered yesterday.

Not had a chance to ride it yet, but really happy with how it looks.
  • I'm really happy with mine. One thing I would add to what I said before is actually about the quality of the finish like you've mentioned. The paint finish and general fit and finish of the bike are excellent. There's a few car manufacturers who would be happy with a paint finish that good!
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just looking for views on this frameset from owners, specifically with regard to comfort. I'm clear that it is an aero frame so always going to be stiffer, but I'm considering it as cyclestore are currently selling it at £1249. Last bike I bought was a Scott Solace (for comfort ironically) as I was having a few back problems. These seem to have all but disappeared with physio / stretching / core work etc hence I think I can cope with an aero frame. I also have my Solace (M 54cm frame) bars set up as low as possible with a -17 degree stem but tbh I've always felt the bike was a little too big for me.
    Any views as to whether the cyclestore deal is good value? I don't know much when it comes to specialized frames.
    Cheers
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Not direct experience but I am glad you understand that the bike is Orange. A friend of mine has one and insists that it is Rocket Red.

I have a pair of the Specialized Sub6 in red. They're f***ing orange.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    A mate bought an orange tarmac and I thought WTF initially as it looked awful

Overtime it's grown on me and I admire the damn colour now and wish i hadn't gone stealth black with green flashes.

@OP the price seems fine but appreciate that the tech and knowledge move on quickly and the residual value is hit hard.

The tarmac is more versatile and has stronger resale value
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu