Is Claris to Ultegra 6800 upgrade worth it?

BrandonS
BrandonS Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
So I've had a Trek 1.1 for the past 2 years. I really like the bike; it's comfortable riding and fits nice. I also like it's looks as that matters a bit too. As far as upgrades I haven't touched it except for putting on a set of Easton 38mm carbon tubs that I got a really good deal on (basically why I bought them). I basically have no complaints except for the 8spd Claris groupset. I'll just list the things I don't like about it...

1. I am often switching the front derailleur to find a suitable gear as the rear spacing seems too large around the gears I often "cruise" in.
2. Brakes are fine for normal stopping, but when grabbing them to stop quickly they feel pretty squishy. I am running Swissstop Yellows so I don't think it's a "crappy pad" problem.
3. To shift the front derailleur, the throw seems HUGE. I have somewhat small hands so maybe it's just that and all groupsets are basically similar or the same.
4. Since new, the cheapy steel crankset has been "wobbly" so it makes a racket when in the top chain and smallest rear gear. I'm sure a mallet could fix this, but it bugs me when riding.

So, out of all those complaints I know more gears would fix the first issue. I'm basically looking for smoother shifting first and the other problems would be nice to have them go away (braking, shifter throw, cheap crank). I'm just not sure if a new group will be all that noticeable since I've never ridden anything else. I can put the groupset on myself and my wheels will work with the 11 speed after upgrading the cassette body.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yep, it's worth it, the only real question is whether it's worth saving the money and just getting 105 5800 instead (which most people rate to be within a hairs breadth of the 6800 performance).
  • I considered that, but the only hesitation I had was I'm building a Speed Concept that will have Ultegra Di2. Only reason for Di2 was because I want to be able to be on the brakes/shifters in higher traffic areas leaving my home. So down the road if I get a power meter I'm thinking maybe purchase a Stages and I can swap the crank arm.

I suppose I could run all 105 with an Ultegra crank.
  • Stages do a 105 5800 power meter...
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've got Sora, Tiagra and Ultegra.

Ultegra is the smoothest but so what. I'd be perfectly happy if all I had was the tiagra (have the crappy thumb levers on the sora otherwise I'd probably be fine with that as well).

On account of being 11 speed, 105 seems the best choice.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Stages do a 105 5800 power meter...
    I think his issue is that he wants to be use the same stages on both his existing trek and his new ultegra Speed Concept.

My understanding is that the left hand side crank of 5800 is the exact same fit as 6800, so it should work regardless, although if you need to be certain you should probably check with someone else that knows....

• My understanding is that the left hand side crank of 5800 is the exact same fit as 6800, so it should work regardless, although if you need to be certain you should probably check with someone else that knows....

Yes, it's a hollowtech crank, so it'll fit fine.
  • Is Claris to Ultegra 6800 upgrade worth it?

Yes.

But you'd probably be just as happy (if not more so) with 11-speed 105 and an extra £200 in your pocket.

It's all the groupset you'll ever need until you get to Dura Ace or Di2.
  • In a word- no, it is not worth it.

Funnily enough I have had my Trek 1.1 for 5 years this winter, and it too bears little resemblance to the original bike- only the frame, fork (the full alloy version at that) and handlebars have survived so far with every other component having worn out and been replaced.
    I also happen to have a pair of 38mm tubs that I can put onto it, although they are normally reserved for my equally inexpensive (but far higher quality) TT bike.

Ultegra 6800 is a fine groupset, and would be the minimum that I would put onto the dream bike I've been promising myself to buy next year for the past 3 years now. However, I hate to say it but the 1.1 frame is simply not worth the expense- although it is a great frame, the flex and weight mean after a point there really is no point in sinking more money in as you can only make it so good.
    However, I do think it is a good bike to ride with nice handling, is comfortable enough for super long rides and most importantly is incredibly tough- the old alloy Treks they are descended from have a reputation for never failing over time, unlike more lightweight alloy machines.

This spring after racing a winter series in slushy salt mix I had to replace my old 2300 groupset as it had been corroded to oblivion and was showing its age anyway, and ended up putting the old 10 speed 105 on, keeping the Tiagra chainset and front Derailleur that was already on the bike.

Seeing the upgraded Tiagra has been released (which actually looks like a better version of the old 105 groupset), I would probably hold on until next year when it is available for significantly less than the current 105 as it will be as good as you could ever want for your bike. 11 speed is nice, but by all accounts it doesn't feel different from 10spd except you can have an extra bail out gear or that 11t if you want. I must admit I didn't really find a massive difference coming from 8 speed, except it's a little closer spacing with an exra 28t I didn't realise I needed (I am a keen climber and use it a fair amount when the going gets around 15% or above).
    However, 10 speed is cheaper to maintain for cassettes, chain etc and is easier to work on with less fiddly indexing and re-usable chain quick links- ideal for all year high mileage riding which is also as good as you need to race with too.

The biggest difference I found heading to 10spd was having the paddle shifter behind the brake lever- previously I had to use the dodgy thumb shifter which is a right pain on the drops- but you already have this.

If you really have to have 11spd, then go for 105- it will feel almost identical to Ultegra but cost far less. Weight isn't really an issue as you already have lightweight rims where most of the difference is made, and a few hundred grams on top of the extra weight of the frame compared to more pricey steeds really won't make a difference.

The weight and strength of the rider makes far more difference- my trek tends to be the heaviest machine on the club run with the everyday R500 wheels and 28mm tyres and yet I am the best climber out of the lot by a fair margin. It is also the only bike I have ever done road races on- with 32 spole Open pro wheels for racing and tbh never felt like the bike was ever holding me back and have had some good results, especially on climbs. Sure, it doesn't do so well in crits but that's probably more down to it's pilot than anything.

Good luck- I hope your Trek serves you well for the next few years!

EDIT: I've just seen your point about 'squishy' brakes. I have long drop Tiagra callipers which don't have the greatest reviews, but they always had reasonable bit to them until I put a pair of Swisstop Greens in. The Swisstop seem to have some squish built in to help you modulate the braking power a little better- the far cheaper Dura Ace cartridges seem to have the same absolute braking power but a much more definite bite point where you then have to modulate using force through the lever rather than the extra bit of lever motion.