Carbon Frame: Chipped Paint or Damaged Carbon?

jpjdavid83
jpjdavid83 Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

While cleaning my bike I noticed that there is some damage to the underside of my fork. I am not sure if it's just chipped paint or something I should panic about. I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Hi,

While cleaning my bike I noticed that there is some damage to the underside of my fork. I am not sure if it's just chipped paint or something I should panic about. I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

No panic needed. Expect the underside of the fork to look a lot worse than that after a few thousand miles.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Are you sure that it's not just the residue from some sort of sticker? From the shadows in the photo it looks like it's raised up.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    Wow! If you saw the same part of mine you would have a fit! Damned newly laid surface meant that my tyre picked up a load of tarmac chippings and resulted in a load of scratches as the wheel went around before I could stop and clear it off.
  • Yes pretty sure it's not a sticker or something similar. The paint is really gone.
  • Wow! If you saw the same part of mine you would have a fit! Damned newly laid surface meant that my tyre picked up a load of tarmac chippings and resulted in a load of scratches as the wheel went around before I could stop and clear it off.

It's my first bike so i am a bit cautious. Should I cover this thing up?
  • Normal close clearance abrasion as already mentioned. Nobody will see it except you. Touch it up with a black marker if you want and/ or put some heli tape under the fork crown in the area you'd expect road debris to occasionally get picked up and rub between crown and tyre...