Is Ultegra worth another £250

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Just specking up a new bike, going down the titanium route, still keeping the Cervelo though. I would imagine i will use it more than it think all be it primarily for when it is not so nice.
Currently coming in about £2.5k with full 105 5800, is Ultegra 6800 worth an extra £250?
Thanks
D

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you have to ask, no it isn't.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Helpful as always.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whats on the Cervelo?

5800 is good, but its still 105.

2.5k sounds like Ultegra for an extra 10% to me.
    What about aesthetics? They are very different colours.
  • Whats on the Cervelo?

5800 is good, but its still 105.

2.5k sounds like Ultegra for an extra 10% to me.
    What about aesthetics? They are very different colours.

Thanks Carbonator, the Cervelo has 6700. Will take a look a colours, not really looked at them.
    D
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2015
    Depending on how many bikes you have and there uses. Would you not want 11 speed on the Cervelo?

Would it not be annoying to have 6800 on the lesser bike (if I understand what you are doing) and 6700 on the better one?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Helpful as always.......

My point was that if you're questioning if it's worth it, it isn't. It certainly isn't worth it in terms of function. Just bling. And if you want bling you may as well go to DA... Or stick with 105.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Anonymous
    I am in the 105 or DA camp a lot of the time too.

Am sure they make it in that colour to force people to buy DA lol.
    Great if you have a bike it looks good on though.
  • Helpful as always.......

My point was that if you're questioning if it's worth it, it isn't. It certainly isn't worth it in terms of function. Just bling. And if you want bling you may as well go to DA... Or stick with 105.

Ok, so that is more helpful, maybe i should have phased the questions as will i gain anything from having 6800 over 5800, having not used either of them and currently using 6700.
  • Depending on how many bikes you have and there uses. Would you not want 11 speed on the Cervelo?

Would it not be annoying to have 6800 on the lesser bike (if I understand what you are doing) and 6700 on the better one?

Currently
    Bianchi - 105/ 6600 mix
    Cervelo S2 6700
    To be added will be Lynskey

Was think Cervelo upgrade next year to maybe Di2.
    D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'd struggle to pay an extra £250 simply on the basis that you can get the 105 5800 groupset for just under £300 and the Ultegra groupset for £450 ish - in those terms ultegra is only worth another £150.

Or to put it another way if you bought and fitted ultegra yourself then you've in effect got a spare full 105 group for just £200.
  • Good point
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    6800 mechs are superior to the 5800 counterparts in the way they shift. I cant tell any difference at all between the 5800 and 6800 shifters. The 6800 brakes are superb.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    6800 is very slightly better than 5800 across the board. there really isn't much in it unless you are a weight weenie, or OCD about shifting and very slightly superior performance in braking and shifting from the big to the little ring (and back).
  • Anonymous
    6800 is very slightly better than 5800 across the board. there really isn't much in it unless you are a weight weenie, or OCD about shifting and very slightly superior performance in braking and shifting from the big to the little ring (and back).

Not quite sure you need to be OCD about anything lol.

I don't want to debate how much better it is, but its better.
    You try to down play better shifting and braking, but even if its a slight difference, they soon add up because you shift and brake loads!

I have only ever had old 105 and DA, so cannot comment too much on Ultegra.
    3 years in and DA has been a dream compared to 105.
    I have riden 5800 and 6800 though. 5800 was v impressive over 5700 from the short ride I did.
    6800 was v noticeably better still though.

Its funny how people often rave about 5800 over 5700, yet dismiss 6800.
    Maybe people are more focused on the cost than how it actually performs 8)

Same thing will likely happen with the new Tiagra. People that bitched about 105 5700 will no doubt love it :roll:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I put 6800 on my Lynskey and don't regret it.

I cannot comment against 5800 but can against 5700.

The 6800 changes more smoothly and the braking is much better. More importantly the changing has remained much smoother with little or no deterioration in smoothness over 18 months of regular use.

If you have the £250 then spend it ;-)
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Alternatively, if you have the £250 to spend, then think about all of the nice kit that would buy you in the current sales.