Freehub switch on Microtech wheels

werdsmyth
werdsmyth Posts: 5
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Any got experience with changing freehubs on Microtech (Basso) carbon wheels? I currently have a Campag freehub on a wheel and I want to change it to Shimano 11sp. I spoke to Basso bikes and they said this isn't possible because the hubs aren't compatible.

Surely that's not right. I know you can't put a Shimano cassette on a Campag freehub but surely you can screw a Shimano freehub onto an actual wheel hub, even if it used to have a Campag freehub on it. Or have they been so foolish as to create an incompatible hub fixing mechanism??

Alternatively, anyone have experience running an 11 speed campag cassette on an Ultegra chainset. I've read around a bit and a lot of people say it runs no different to a full Shimano setup.

Comments

• sure i saw on here the other day a shimano cassette which has campag splines (so will fit on a campag hub)?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sprocket spacing is the same for Campag and Shimano 11 speed, so you can run the Campag free hub / cassette with an otherwise Shimano drivetrain
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yep, when they changed to 11s they became compatible so don't worry about it.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yup - 11-speed Campag cassettes will work on 11-speed Shimano groups. Note, the freehubs are still different, so that's a 11-speed campag cassette on a campag freehub - in a shimano group (just to be clear).

However, it's possible that if the wheel was originally bought as a 10-speed campag wheel, it may not work with an 11-speed campag cassette. There are some older campag-splined freehubs that are just a fraction too short for 11-speed cassettes. The early Hope 10-speed road campag freehubs were like this and needed replacing to run 11-speed campag cassettes. I've also got a Halo wheel that does this too. But most recent ones should be fine.

I think a lot of Microtech kit is rebadged Miche - so have a check with cycleclinic as he works with Miche hubs and should be able to help identify it if it is a Miche - and say whether the freehub will work with 11.