Help! Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 (14) or Cannondale CAAD 12?

KarthikK
KarthikK Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I need advice on the following two bikes.
1. Focus is a carbon frame with an Ultegra shifters and dérailleurs.
But this is a 2014 bike on sale.

2. Cannondale CAAD 12 105 is a light weight ally frame.
This is a 2016 model.

Both the bikes are being sold for the same price at the LBS near me.
Is that carbon frame a better choise? Or the CAAD 12? Which one would you buy?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    First, are both bikes the correct size for you?

Which geometry do you prefer, as they are both in the local shop have you sat on them yet? Nothing wrong with a high quality aluminium bike like the cannondale, some say a carbon bike is more comfortable, however the Caad12 has the Save Microsuspension, so may well be as comfortable as a carbon bike.

Is the Focus the equivalent to the 2015 Cayo Ultrgra Mix?
    http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2016/road/performance-cayo/cayo-ultegra-mix.html

Will the shop let you test ride them?
  • Thank you DJ58.
    Both are the correct size for me. Did try the Focus, CAAD is expected in a few days at the store and they will let me try it.

Focus 2014 has a FSA Crankset but otherwise all the components are the same as 2016 Focus Ultegra mix. But the 2016 Focus bike has a P2T carbon whereas 2014 Focus bike has 'Carbon frame', not sure if both are of same quality. I will hold on to one of these bikes for a long time, so a carbon + Ultegra or ally + 105?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i used to won a Cayo Evo and have nothing but positive things to say about it.
    They are really comfortable, yet super stiff.
    I've never ridden a CAAD so cant compare

If they both fit you right and you you like the look of them both, the fact the Cayo has 6800 over 5800 would definitely sway it for me.
    The Cayo is probably lighter as well

MAtt
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Another Cayo Evo owner here. Mine is a 2013 model and I love it. Really smooth and compliant, but very torsionally stiff. My Foil is quicker reacting, but the Cayo rides nicer. It won Cycling Plus' Bike of The Year award the year it came out and still got shortlisted the year after. I personally would have the Cayo Evo 2.0 over the CAAD 12, or any other aluminium frame.