Winter tight recommendations under £100

Spooked
Spooked Posts: 90
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm after some new winter tights. I bought some Planet X winter thermal things and the pad placement is properly horrible. My previous tights were un padded which I preferred to be honest.

I didn't know if anyone knew of a good quality pair of bib tights they could recommend that are nice and warm as I do feel the cold. I haven't got masses of cash to chuck around as a new dad so am looking for something that is as cost effective as possible.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers :)

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,881
    Personally, I would recommend the Etxeondo bikoterm and Orhi bib tights.

Both available with chunky discounts and within budget.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Sportful Bodyfit Pro Thermal bib tights are fantastic if you can fit into them and they're well under budget. Otherwise, Wiggle's own brand dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Tight are a good, lower cost effective alternative.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Unstitch the pad and use them over your summer shorts
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I would suggest looking at Lusso Max Repel which come padded or unpadded. They are warm and pretty water resistant and the unpadded version works great over a pair of good padded shorts. A quick google shows them widely available at at £36 - £50 depending on size. I have a few bits of Lusso kit, including the aforementioned tights and shorts and can't recommend them highly enough.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I can recommend these Pella Ergo tights

http://www.rosasport.co.uk/ergo-winter-bib-tights.html

You can choose to the "Carbon" pad option to bring the price down to £90
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    After trying a few i found the castelli the best for fit and comfort. It just depends what build you are and size you need. Check the sales and you should be able to get two pairs for £100.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    DHB (top of range) tend to be a good shout - I have some of their Roubaix 3/4 bib knickers and shorts which I picked up at stupid discounts in a sale and they are brilliant. As for bib tights, Mavic Echappee's are good (although these size up large as opposed to Castelli which often size up small). I also really like my Sportful R&D bib tights. These seem to be similar to Castelli Sorpasso's, have a brilliant pad and better straps IMHO.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • North wave is what I use. They kept me riding though last winter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I used the Altura Progel bib tights last winter and they were brilliant. Got me through Manchester's winter without trouble
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I find winter tights with a seat pad warmer than an unpadded tight with lycra shorts underneath - the lycra traps moisture and gets cold, whereas the tights alone wick far better. Castelli Sorpasso are great all-rounders IMO and just picked up some Sportful R+D ones in the sale which are really nice - planning to take them to the arctic for a race this winter!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Wear good quality bib shorts year round. Add knee warmers in autumn, leg warmers in winter. A decent base layer under the bibs keeps you warm. Ultimate in flexibility without compromising on the quality of the short.
  • robbo2011
    well thats OK for mild winters. wear that combo in cold weather and your knackers will freeze off. Proper winter tights are needed for proper winter weather, IMO.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    well thats OK for mild winters. wear that combo in cold weather and your knackers will freeze off. Proper winter tights are needed for proper winter weather, IMO.

May not work for you, but has worked for me for many years. Knackers still attached.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

+1.

Leg warmers are ok down to around 8 - 10 degrees. Any lower and the reletively un-insulated section between your thighs and your waist is going to get very cold, as summer shorts are just simply too thin.
  • My go-to winter tights are Castelli Sorpasso - if you can pick them up with a discount they are definitely worth it.

Within your budget I would recommend the dhb Windslam winter tights which I have been pleasantly surprised with. The pad isn't quite as good as the Castelli but at the price point they are excellent.
  • robbo2011

May not work for you, but has worked for me for many years. Knackers still attached.

Actually, you might like the insulated bib shorts route. I have a pair for cool days and mountain rides and they work well in combination with leg warmers/knee warmers. I use the Assos tiburu.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,22&prod=548
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I have some Decathlon 700 membrane tights, if you're an XL or 2XL they're reduced from 50 to 15 online at the moment, if it's really wet and cold I put some Castelli Nanoflex legwarmers on too.
  • That's great. Thanks for the suggestions. Time I spent some cash :)