About to buy my first road bike!

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
So I've had my GT ZUM S2 hybrid for a few years now and ride it regularly as part of my fitness programme (2-3 times a week when I'm not using my home gym, walking or running). It was bought on a whim and has served me well but I really do feel that I need something better now. It was cheap and cheerful and helped me get back into cycling.

I've decided I want a road bike and have spent a couple of weeks looking for a sportive bike that is somewhat comfortable but would let me ride a lot faster and longer than my current budget hybrid.

I've located a Specialized Concept Store near me and I've approached them to buy a Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc 2016 bike. They've been very friendly over the phone and have invited me down for a measuring and a test ride. The bike is available on interest-free credit and seems to meet the criteria that I'm looking for.

As it's a lot of money for me to splash out (£2K) I'm looking for any alternatives or any negative/positive opinions about the Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc 2016.

Comments

• Have a look at Trek Domane or Giant Defy both are worth looking at, various groupset levels, aluminium or carbon and you don't pay as much for the name as you do with specialized..

Many thanks for the advice. I'll check those bikes out.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Canyon do a sportive geometry bike that gets rave reviews, or if you fancy something a bit more racy the ultimate CF SL should work.

Being a bmc fan the teammachine SLR02 is within your budget, its a fantastic bike and is very comfy.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Another to add to the list if you are committed to a disc equipped bike is the Planet X RT80 Disc

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRTD80/planet-x-rtd-80-disc-road-bike

Comes with SRAM Rival 11 speed and also SRAM hyraulic brakes. Also well within your budget at £1500.

Planet X don't do 0% finance but they do offer a buy-now-pay-later option.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/bike-finance

Reason for the suggestion is that I took a trip to the Rotherham showroom last week to have a look at the Planet X London Road in the flesh. (Ended up ordering one in black with Rival 22). While there I had a look at their other offerings including the RT80 Disc and I was well impressed. Bit over my budget but I would have gone for one if the funds were available.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The roubaix is the best and most brilliant bike ever ever ever - I have the rim-braked version of what you're getting and it's perfect. Unfortunately they stopped making that model for 2016, so you'll have to go disc but I don't imagine it makes much difference to the ride.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Thank you for the additional suggestions. I'll research them all before I commit. I do want to stick to disc brakes as I have them on my current bike and they cope well in most weather conditions.