Noob; route advice.....

llebend
llebend Posts: 27
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

Firstly, Hello! I am not new to cycle commuting, but new to internet forums about cycle commuting!

I am looking for some route advice heading from Uxbridge to Paddington, daily.....or as often as I dare - any takers on good bad/West way or canal advice. Also, rear lights that don't break the bank, but will last a couple of seasons of ol' blighty clag and rain. Preferably attachable to a backpack (Chrome Barrage) or the seat stays of the bike. The seatpost has the kids pull along attachment and an Alpkit Koala, so, no space left.

Please say hello if you see a bikepacked Verenti Substance (in green....) with a bloke in a tee shirt and DHB kit.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sorry, I live in Lancashire so can't help. Just thought your thread looked a little unloved with no replies. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Sorry, I live in Lancashire so can't help. Just thought your thread looked a little unloved with no replies. :D

Bless your heart, I am feeling unloved.....I am get the impression that no one in London rides bikes, guess they are all too busy being hipsters.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Given how London centric this forum usually is it's strange you have no replies, a little love coming from Warwickshire!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Given how London centric this forum usually is it's strange you have no replies, a little love coming from Warwickshire!

it is south west London centric - if the OP can find his way to Richmond Park then he will have no end of advice on how to proceed from there
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This any good?

I don't know the area at all, but it doesn't look like there are any nice roads. The other option would be the A40

https://goo.gl/maps/7tihK
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    This any good?

I don't know the area at all, but it doesn't look like there are any nice roads. The other option would be the A40

https://goo.gl/maps/7tihK
    Strava suggests the same (using popular existing routes etc).

Doesn't look particularly glamourous. Might be decent if you commute at odd hours and get some clear roads...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • From what I remember of living in West London (Hanwell, god glad I left that dump) Uxbridge Road is pretty horrible. Especially around Hillingdon, Southall, Hanwell, Ealing, Acton, Shepherd's Bush (well I guess most of the way then...). There are shops and restaurants/curryhouses a lot of the way so there are plenty of pedestrians stepping out, cars/taxis pulling in and out unexpectedly, loads of buses, that roundabout at Shepherd's Bush can be hairy if you don't know what you are doing.

However it doesn't look like you have much of a choice without going massively out of your way as there aren't many parallel West-East roads (probably why traffic is so bad). I might be wrong but pretty sure cycling is banned on parts of Western Avenue/Westway (and if it isn't you would be mad to cycle there anyway). One-way streets near Paddington can be a bit confusing but you might be able to improve on that suggested route slightly by turning off left earlier.

Never tried the canals so can't help there sorry.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The canal path is certainly an option - it'll take you pretty much all the way there, but it isn't particularly quick as it's gravel surfaced rather than tarmac, and you'll get the odd idiot that has left something across the path to wind you up, along with riders coming the other way nearly forcing you into the canal.

Still, worth a go to see if you prefer it to the roads.
  • Thanks all, Bike Hub has suggested a route using the A40 cycle path to hanger lane and then hopping onto the canal.....it is a long ride either way. I may try it next week, work pending. So, if you see a green verenti cx with bikepacking kit strapped to it and a shabby looking bloke......that'll be me.