Chain noise on a new Ultegra Di2 bike.

2»

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I recently changed from 105 5700 to ultregra 6800 (both mechanical) and so far I'm rather disappointed. The shifting is lovely and smooth (not that it wasn't on the 5700) but the noise when in some gears is extremely irritating.
    I thought it just needed tuning but despite hours of fiddling there was no difference.
    Decided to get it checked over by my lbs & they immediately said it's a known issue with ultegra. Anyway, they had a look but didn't make a difference.
    Last week at the TOB Wrexham stage a very kind NFTO mechanic even looked at it for me. He said there is nothing to change as it is set up perfectly.

Its very irritating and disappointing really. I had convinced myself it would be a nice upgrade from the 105 but in reality I kind of regret the purchase.
  • I feel your pain, however I have changed my rear
    Mech on my di2 to short cage, and when reattaching the chain I re measured and discovered it was at least an inch and a half long. So cut it and it's almost perfect now.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Mines still running great since switching the chain out to a KMC.

I remember my brother had noise issues with his new bike last year, and it's just twigged that it was also an Ultegra set up.

But yeh, so far I'm happy with it now the chains been changed.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • I am looking at this tread with great interest, as I have the same experience with the chain noise using 6800 Ultegra rear derailleur. I have change it for the GS type but it is the same thing. In my case chain runs quietly for around 500 to 1000 km and than it starts getting louder and louder no matter what gear combo I use.I have used the old 6800 chain design till now but from yesterday I am using the new ch-hg 700 chain witch is directional design. Will see if that makes any difference. I have also noticed that new GS rd has a guide pulley wheel with sealed cartridge ball bearings instead of ceramic bearings found in my old SS rd. So there are some minor changes to early version of 6800 Ultegra Rd and chains.
    And one last thing. When I was changing the chain, I have noticed that it is impossible to size the chain correctly as shown in manual on Shimano web. I use 52/36 and 11-32 cassette. As per manual, I should use big - big method and adding two links to that. Well I can add either one or three but not two. Two would be possible, if I would use quick link or similar.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've had a couple of 6800 bikes, but always used either Dura-Ace or SRAM Red chains (depending on whether I'm using a Shimano or SRAM cassette). I've never felt that the drivetrain was noisy. Perhaps there is something about the Ultegra chain in particular?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    I was interested in this thread as I have Ultegra (6800) for the first time and felt that it was bit noisy. Shifts well and smoothly but could be quieter. I've played around with different lubrication and most recently I've been using motorbike gearbox oil which has definitely improved it.
    The chain was the original 6800 version - non-directional.

Today I replaced it with the new CN-HG700-11 version which is directional. there seemed to be a big improvement when I rode with it this afternoon... a lot quieter. Whether that was my imagination or the effect of riding with the manufacturers lubrication still in place or whether it was down to the chain design remains to be seen.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Don't bite my head off, but you have checked how the chain is threaded through the RD cage, and that it's not running the wrong side of the pin between the jockey wheels?

Three years later... your post just solved my problem, thank you!

So embarrassing! But worth owning up to as a reminder of the value of keeping old threads :)

Thanks!!
  • I`d change the hanger.

Had 3 in the last 5 yrs on mine. Chain noise is the indicator.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I also just think it's an Ultegra thing, coming from Campag Chorus I initially thought the Ultegra must be set up wrong but no amount of fettling gets it as quiet as I'd like.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Skonk wrote:
    Mines still running great since switching the chain out to a KMC.

I remember my brother had noise issues with his new bike last year, and it's just twigged that it was also an Ultegra set up.

But yeh, so far I'm happy with it now the chains been changed.

Hey Skonk i am dealing with the exact same issue and i was wondering how your experiences have been so far with the KMC chain. Still silent?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I run Di2 R8050 and have always used a KMC 11 speed chain. I also use a Rotor 3D24 crankset and have no noise issues at all.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Funnily enough when I changed to a KMC chain on mechanical 6800 I experienced more noise than the original Shimano chain, despite the fact that it was worn. Indexing was perfect so no good reason for the noise. Recently I came by a R8000 rear derailleur, fitted it and noise gone (same chain). Very strange.
  • curve ball possible solution: is it an ultegra chain set?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I had chain noise when I built up my Di2 bike. The source? I'd run the chain around the back of the small tab on the rear mech cage, the tab that sits between the two jockey wheels and does I know not what. :roll: