Portable charger for Phones

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been using my phone for Strava and having problems with my battery dying.

I've seen these on offer at Sport Pursuit for £9.99 - http://www.kasedirect.com/kas-electronics-ka25001-power-bank-2500mah-773-p.asp

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/kase-sep15

It looks ideal in that I wouldn't need any additional external leads so could charge in my jersey.

Any one got one of these or know if it will do the job?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's probably fine, but to be quite honest if you're that interested in Strava that you're already shopping for a battery booster for your phone, then you probably ought save your money and put it towards a Garmin/Bryton/other GPS computer which will give you better results with a lot less hassle.

Garmin Edge 200's can often be had around £50 and are completely waterproof and the battery will do 20 hours easy - the only issue is if you think you want to use HR straps, cadence sensors etc.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Totally agree on the Garmin. The 200 is great if all you want to do is stick your rides on Strava.

If you do want to stick with your phone then I've always like the Anker ones. Got a small one and a big one. Small one has a whole phone battery worth on it (or 2 x Garmin 510/810) and the big one is about 5 times as much. Get at 1m long USB cable and stick the battery in your jersey pocket. Charges plenty faster than the Garmin will drain. Not sure about the phone.
  • I think Lidl or Aldi are about to have an offer on the Edge500 for £79, just buy that imo.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can you replace the battery in your phone ? that would be the cheaper option ?

Other than that - yes - just buy a basic garmin.
  • Cool. Will look at the cheaper Garmins. Makes sense.

May pick one of these up from Sport Pursuit at a tenner though. My phone batteries awful and could always use this to charge it in case of an emergency.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I was pleasantly surprised that my Note 4 humungophone still had quite a bit of battery left after running strava for the 8+ hours it took me :oops: to ride the 3 pistes this year.
    There are a lot of factors affecting battery life, and you may be able to tweak your phone's performance a bit. Or else, like the people say, get a garmin.
  • Cool. Will look at the cheaper Garmins. Makes sense.

May pick one of these up from Sport Pursuit at a tenner though. My phone batteries awful and could always use this to charge it in case of an emergency.

Although a Garmin is a good idea as you say the external batteries are only a tenner and they do work very well. I use an Anker Astro Mini and it keeps my iPhone going all day.
  • I think Lidl or Aldi are about to have an offer on the Edge500 for £79, just buy that imo.

Thanks supermurph09, on sale Thursday 24th September, that's my payday treat sorted.