imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited September 2015 in Pro race
GC after Stage 1
1 VIVIANI Elia 26 SKY 04:26:19
2 CAVENDISH Mark 11 EQS 00:00:04
3 GREIPEL André 71 LTS 00:00:06

Clitheroe to Colne

Today's stage map on the official site is perhaps the least helpful road race stage map I have ever seen. And frankly with lots of climbs, narrow roads, and potential pitfalls this is a day that the teams really need to be careful on.

20590001904_440885875c_b.jpg

I just pray that the weather in the NW is as good as it is currently in SW1 - cos that part of the world is stunning and it could be an epic days racing

20590001934_390fa01554_b.jpg

Comments

• Nick O'Pendle just 2.4km in...well, that's just rude
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The roadbook seems to suggest a full last 1000m at a decent 5% - perhaps more something for Ciolek, EBH, Swift, than pure sprinters. Anyone from the area around to confirm?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    weather is good here, bright but not too hot - as for the finish I think they would all have a go at it, Cav does go at the hillier finishes as well, it's more a question of whether everyone will be together at the end of the day.

if it finishes in Colne town centre then yes, it's a draggy finish but not that bad
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Alex Dowsett & Pete Williams have a 1+ minute gap over the peloton with 71km to go
  • I live within 5 miles of Colne and gave up on that stage map after about half an hour of trying to work out if I would be able to see the stage live. Don't think I could even if I get out of work!

Would love to see those two stay away but not sure it's going to be possible but good to see Pete in the break given that this is in his back yard. Wishful thinking!
  • and Vakoc wins after popping off the front of the breakaway group and going solo from a fair way out

Good win, that
  • imatfaal
    and Vakoc wins after popping off the front of the breakaway group and going solo from a fair way out

Good win, that

real power for a decent amount of time - it was a good peleton that looked as if they were giving it a real effort. Cracking win
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Hopefully a gpx file will come out of the route so can do it on the weekend the online route maps for the stage ain't the best
  • Hopefully a gpx file will come out of the route so can do it on the weekend the online route maps for the stage ain't the best

Plenty of Pro (Dowsett being one of them) will upload their ride to Strava where you can download the GPX file for the route
  • imatfaal
    Hopefully a gpx file will come out of the route so can do it on the weekend the online route maps for the stage ain't the best

Map my ride might already have one a fan has done. The roadbook version of the map is much better than the website - I really only posted the bad version because it was so bad.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Seeing Pete in the break again got me wondering what % of his FTP would he be sitting at for the day roughly do you reckon?
  • blinking eck Doull is doing well. He's got <5,500 km of racing in this year - anyone know his training regime?
  • blinking eck Doull is doing well. He's got <5,500 km of racing in this year - anyone know his training regime?

Heiko Salzwedel is a hard taskmaster, believes in a strong road programme for endurance and loves altitude training camps for the TP guys. He's had them training up on Teide and Livigno, back and forth. Both Doull and Tennant in particular seem to be flourishing under the Salzwedel regime, and its translating well to the road as well as track.

As for the mileage, he's had a mixed race programme of riding for Team Wiggins here and in Europe, as well as for the GB National squad in the U23 Nations Cup
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    Very good win and the ToB continues to provide good racing (although a shame so many gave up on the stage so early including big names). Surprised to see Dunbar in that group though, maybe he fancies saving something for tomorrow? I was a bit worried watching the last few kms and seeing cars approaching the race route from side roads with no-one present to stop them joining the course. Fortunately they all stopped though.
  • Watched it at Dunsop Bridge, and cycled over. Cracking weather. Don't know how some of them stayed upright at that speed with the awful road surfaces though!
  • That was better than the weekend stage for sure.

Really enjoyable viewing.

Vakoc took his chance well and looked super strong.

Is he riding the TT worlds? might be worth a fiver.
  • That was better than the weekend stage for sure.

Really enjoyable viewing.

Vakoc took his chance well and looked super strong.

Is he riding the TT worlds? might be worth a fiver.

Do you work for Ettixx Quickstep Jimmy?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • imatfaal

Here you can look on Strava and see exactly what you would be up against.

http://www.strava.com/activities/387285384

I love the fact it was auto-named Lunch Ride