Commuting with kids - anyone do it?

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited September 2015 in Commuting general
My little girl starts school this week and part of the routine will be that once a week I need to drop her and her younger brother off on my bike. So I've got my bike set up with a bike seat on the back and a tag-a-long bike behind, it works well and we're only going 3 miles.

But the weather is getting more winter-like so does anyone have any tips for keeping kids warm and dry on a ride?! With both the bike seat and the tagalong on there isn't space for a rear mudguard, so the spray on the tag-a-long rider isn't very nice!

Anyone do anything similar? Got any tips?!

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My little girl starts school this week and part of the routine will be that once a week I need to drop her and her younger brother off on my bike. So I've got my bike set up with a bike seat on the back and a tag-a-long bike behind, it works well and we're only going 3 miles.

But the weather is getting more winter-like so does anyone have any tips for keeping kids warm and dry on a ride?! With both the bike seat and the tagalong on there isn't space for a rear mudguard, so the spray on the tag-a-long rider isn't very nice!

I used a two seat trailer to drop my girl at nursery and then my lad at school. They were warm and dry - the only minor irritation was the kids asking me when they got to school "daddy why are you so wet".
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where there is a will there is a way, get a rear mudguard fitted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've got my bike set up with a bike seat on the back and a tag-a-long bike behind, it works well

The tagalong I have connects to the seat post, meaning that I have no way of putting the child seat on. What make is your tagalong?
  • My little girl starts school this week and part of the routine will be that once a week I need to drop her and her younger brother off on my bike. So I've got my bike set up with a bike seat on the back and a tag-a-long bike behind, it works well and we're only going 3 miles.

I used a two seat trailer to drop my girl at nursery and then my lad at school. They were warm and dry - the only minor irritation was the kids asking me when they got to school "daddy why are you so wet".
    Good shout with the trailer, that's what I used to use to drop her off at the childminder. I'll check whether both kids fit in the trailer I've got as it would be expensive to have to get a new one.
  • Where there is a will there is a way, get a rear mudguard fitted!
    The clearance between the top of the wheel and the tag a long just isn't there unfortunately. I did have one on but the tag along just ruined it till I had to take it off! Even with the guard on she still ended up with mud sprayed all over her face the poor thing! I'm wondering whether i can get her an all-in-one waterproof.
    KerSplosh wrote:
    I've got my bike set up with a bike seat on the back and a tag-a-long bike behind, it works well

The tagalong I have connects to the seat post, meaning that I have no way of putting the child seat on. What make is your tagalong?
    It's some pretty ancient thing which I got from a local bike rescue project. It connects to the seat post, but the child seat connects to the frame (seat tube). It's very very tight to get them both on, and the child seat does bounce off the tag a long so some of the paint is chipped. I need to get her on her own bike really!
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I don't commute with my kid, but on the weekend I take the bike instead of the car to the parks etc.

I would say ensure that they have gloves and hats as even a slight drop in the temperature made my 3 year old shiver non stop at the top of ally pally. I was roasting going up there on a MTB :)

I have thought about a trailer, and if I did, I would keep a warm fleece for the both of my kids. I would stop cycling with them late October when we are under 12c
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • I fitted a mtb front crud catcher to the connecting bar of the tagalong bike, didn't stop everything but stopped a fair bit. I also had a mudguard on the rear wheel of the tagalong as well as the whippy flag as my son called it. Used to have 2 flags one hi viz and a skull and crossbones on it, raised a few smiles from drivers. An all in one waterproof / snow suit came in handy when it was cold and wet plus he had his own cycle glasses to stop the rain etc.
    Good call on mudguards on the tag a long, I'll give that a go and the glasses too. Thanks.
    mlgt wrote:
    I don't commute with my kid, but on the weekend I take the bike instead of the car to the parks etc.

I would say ensure that they have gloves and hats as even a slight drop in the temperature made my 3 year old shiver non stop at the top of ally pally. I was roasting going up there on a MTB :)

I have thought about a trailer, and if I did, I would keep a warm fleece for the both of my kids. I would stop cycling with them late October when we are under 12c
    I do find it hard to judge their temperature as sometimes you're blocking the wind, but other times blocking the sun, and then you can't tell if they're getting warm from moving etc - it's a minefield! Lol.
    When I used to take the trailer when she was small I'd use blankets and hot water bottles in with her!