Dropper Post - must have or expensive convenience?

mattham
mattham Posts: 75
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Evening all... :D

Been looking at dropper posts recently, most reviews I've read are all along the lines of 'once you've had one, you won't go back'....and any bike review of a bike without one seems to be scathing of the lack thereof...

Not having had one, are they really as essential as I'm reading? In mildly hilly Bedfordshire I'm not sure how much use one would be - or is that only because I haven't tried one?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons to help me make up my mind on whether to get one would be welcome....

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you ride stuff you would normally drop your post for they are really worthwhile. If not, they're not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Best thing since sliced bread.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • They're nice but I could live without mine
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not a must have (but then neither is the whole bike!), but a nice to have, I've just fitted a Decathlon dropper (sales £30!) to mine, I'll keep the lightweight carbon post in for XC rides and slot in the dropper for trail centres, previously I'd drop the saddle by about 1-1.5" for trail centres and the like but it does harm your uphill (seated) pedalling.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Don't have one as yet, but its on my list as the next upgrade...
  • They're nice but I could live without mine

That. I have them in both bikes and really like having them there, but with the geometry and set up I can ride most things without dropping the seat if I have to. Much prefer having the option though.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Have a Reverb Stealth that came fitted as standard, I 'm of the "once you have one you won't want to change back" category, however if I wreak the post its going to be bl00dy painful on the wallet to replace it. The advantage they give for downhill runs i really like, but 300€ is still a lot of cash.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Expensive ride changing IMO..

Used to hate stopping before and after every little downhill to adjust my saddle height! drove me nuts, shaved ten minutes off ride times at my local places from not having to stop hehe
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152

Used to hate stopping to adjust my nuts, shaved my local places hehe

This is not a conventional alternative.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • I could probably do without mine for trail centres without much pedalling and just stop to drop/lift the seat at either end of the trail.

But for natural trails/woods etc where you don't have constant gradient, it's a godsend.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • I have had one for 4 months now and find it pretty usefull. Its only a 100mm dropper and most of the time I only drop the seat about half of that. I used to ride a ridgid bike before and am well used to getting my ass behind the saddle but the dropper allows you to get your centre of gravity lower but in the middle of the bike which inspires confidence.
    I also find I dont have to worry about the back of the bike kicking up and the saddle launching my weigh forward.
    If I were you I'd get one. If you dont like it get rid.
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I got my first one a few months ago and couldn't believe how much of a convenience it is. I think that the dropper post is one of those game changing things that come along very rarely.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Droppers are one of the few innovations that do make a difference, as opposed to say - increasing wheel size by a few cm every few months ;)

I had a few nay-saying mates - "I'm not paying £180 for a seatpost" etc, but they soon change their tune after testing them out.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Riding a bike without one would be less fun. Can't imagine I'll ever own a bike without one again.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    put one on my 10 year old boys bike, its a must have if your riding requires the seat going up and down
  • I've had one (standard reverb) for about 18 months, and was very quickly of the view that for me, it was a game-changer.

However, its had to go back for repair (once), and replacement (once) in that time ... kudos to On One / Planet X, and SRAM for doing both FOC, but in my experience (and that of a mate who I ride with regularly, who's had similar issues), it hasn't proved that reliable.

The last few weeks, whilst I was waiting for my replacement, I just rode with a standard seatpost, and TBH, haven't missed the dropper that much on my local trails. That said, there are a couple of steep, tricky, technical lines that I have avoided, as I wasn't feeling 'on it', but would have ridden had the dropper been fitted.

Overall, I'm very pleased I have one, and at some point, I will re-fit my replacement dropper, but I might just keep it for bigger days out in the mountains to make it last a bit longer. When it finally goes, and assuming its no longer covered by warranty, I'm not sure I'll fork out £180 on a replacement, unless they have bomb-proof reliability by then, or if I do, I might looks at one of the cheaper cable offerings ...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Wouldnt be without mine makes a ride so smooth only problem you dont get that little 2 mins breather whilst you and your mates wiggle the seat up and down.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Like the Rookie, i got Decathlon jobbie as my first taste of a dropper and i bloody love it - when i remember to drop it:)

I could live without it. But wouldnt want to.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    I have a dropper on my new bike. Was never fussed about having one before but now I've used it I can see that they are brilliant. Although I would say they're only fun if everyone else in the group has one as well, then you can smash the trails with little to no stoppages and everyones pushing each other in that "first person who stops is a pussy" kind of way.
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • Some really interesting replies here, thanks all for your comments.

I decided to buy a Reverb stealth and got a pretty good price from Alltricks. :wink:

Ta
    Matt :D