Lubing full suss pivot points

loudog
loudog Posts: 136
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Question -

What do you guys use to lube up the pivot points on your full sussers?

Ive been spraying a little degreaser in first and then running a little wet lube in before pumping it up and down to work it in better.

Is this the general consensus?
It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike

Comments

• No, definitely not. Degreaser will damage bearing seals and wash out grease. Bearings are sealed units, all the lube they need is sealed inside them.
    The best thing you can do for them is keep them clean, occasionally clean pivot bolts and apply a fine smear of grease.
    Never get degreaser near your bearings.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are they bearings (as in with a rolling element, ball or roller) or bushings (OK still strictly a bearing) as the correct treatment is different for each, but neither should be treated the way are you are treating yours, as an America would call it "killing bearings 101".
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Is this the general consensus?

No. There is no Consensus. It all depends on what the "bearing" is.

Some you don't do anything to as they are self lubing.

So as per the sticky above. What have you got?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • loudog
    Well, haven't I been mistaken...

Good job I only did it once.

Here is my bike - A Radon Slide

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13034704

At a pure guess I would say they are bushings rather than bearings but I may be wrong
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Linking back to this thread?

I believe all the pivots on that are cartridge bearings, so just keep the joints clean, occasionally remove the pivot bolts to clean in the crevices and do a quick check every ride to make sure none are loose.

Replace the cartridge should a bearing get grumbly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • loudog
    Ok excellent, thanks for the info!