6700 RH shifter problem

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Out for a ride today did 10 miles no problem then went for an upshift (as in pressing the small lever) and it went all the way along and didn't engage. That itself is not unusual it does that from time to time (they all do) but the difference here was that it didn't go in the second time or at all after that :(

It was stuck in the biggest sprocket and heading for Great Dunn Fell where I would only be using bottom gear anyway so I pushed on with my ride.

I kept trying to get it to work and on the way back, roughly the place where it failed in the first place I tried it and it started working again! Very strange.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Check the cable in the shifter.

I had a similar problem which occurred a couple of consecutive rides, then on the next ride, when I was 30 miles from home, the cable snapped inside the shifter & I was stuck in the smallest sprocket all the way home (with lots of hills to climb).
  • I did initially think it was a cable snap, but the fact it just started working again has then confused me!

I might change the cables just to be sure.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I did initially think it was a cable snap, but the fact it just started working again has then confused me!

I might change the cables just to be sure.

My 10 speed 105 RH shifter seems to eat the inner cable every 2 years or so. Last time I ignored the increasingly erratic shifting too long and it broke inside the shifter. Fortunately I was able to fish out the bits and the replacement is working fine.

On an externally cabled bike there's a quick and easy way to check without undoing anything:

Shift all the way down till the chain's on the biggest sprocket.
    Then without turning the pedals, pull on a bit of exposed cable to maintain tension while shifting all the way up.
    That should give you enough slack in the system to allow you to unseat one bit of cable outer from it's frame stop, and push enough of the inner cable back through the shifter to allow inspection.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Out for a ride today did 10 miles no problem then went for an upshift (as in pressing the small lever) and it went all the way along and didn't engage. That itself is not unusual it does that from time to time (they all do)

do they? I've never had that happen before unless I clipped the brake lever when shifting.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Out for a ride today did 10 miles no problem then went for an upshift (as in pressing the small lever) and it went all the way along and didn't engage. That itself is not unusual it does that from time to time (they all do)

do they? I've never had that happen before unless I clipped the brake lever when shifting.

Well I first encountered it when riding a hire bike in Mallorca in 2013 which was equipped with 6700. I later bought some for myself and experience it from time to time. Not desperately often, probably about once every other ride.

However I had my bike into the LBS for a different issue and the apprentice lad said to his boss that the shifting was off occasionally and the boss man sagely said that that's entirely normal for these shifters, that they all do it.

It might well be that I'm clipping the brake lever while shifting, something I'm going to have to test.
  • if the new cable doesn't sort it, i had a similar-ish problem on my 7800 RH shifter - clicking down wouldn't always work. a spray of WD40 into the shifting mechanism followed by some sprayable motorbike chain wax sorted it.

note that this was not working occasionally, not all the time